"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2020, 02:26 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is it possible to make a milkshake without SO MUCH ice cream?

It seems when it comes to making alcoholic milkshakes particulary, you have to put on a lot. To the point where I feel bloated, even if the shake is not too huge. And I wonder, is it because I have to wait for the ice cream to soften before I scoop it out of the container, and it softens too much?

But if I don't wait, then it's not softened enough to scoop. But I really have to use a lot, just to get the shake thick enough, otherwise it's too soupy. I follow recipes, but I always end up adding more than the recipes, unless the recipes are incorrect?

For example, here is one recipe for an alcoholic milshake:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...n-shake-200659

I only added 1 ounce of each alcohol instead of 2. But I had to put in more like five cups of ice cream instead of 1, just to get it thick enough for the booze. Am I doing something wrong?

ironpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:09 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Tis recipe - https://ramshacklepantry.com/white-r...lic-milkshake/ uses about 3 scoops of ice cream per searing. I believe you could simply change the alcohol to make whatever flavor of shake you want.

The author is correct in his assessment of variables. Some ice creams have more air whipped into them, with more premium ice creams having less, making them more dense. So go by weight in your measurements. Also, the ice cream texture is important as to how thick the shake is. Pay attention to those aspects and you should find success.

I don't consume alcohol myself, and so can would not make this. i can't do a test batch. However, the author appears to know what he is doing.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Tis recipe - https://ramshacklepantry.com/white-r...lic-milkshake/ uses about 3 scoops of ice cream per searing. I believe you could simply change the alcohol to make whatever flavor of shake you want.

The author is correct in his assessment of variables. Some ice creams have more air whipped into them, with more premium ice creams having less, making them more dense. So go by weight in your measurements. Also, the ice cream texture is important as to how thick the shake is. Pay attention to those aspects and you should find success.

I don't consume alcohol myself, and so can would not make this. i can't do a test batch. However, the author appears to know what he is doing.

Oh okay, thanks. Well if the author is correct, than why do I need five cups, both times now when I tried? Just because of air in the ice cream?
Old 05-21-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes. When you mix the air-filled ice cream with a liquid, the ice cream collapses. Try it with a premium ice cream with less air.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Oh well I guess that makes sense, but is there a way to mathematically calculate a recipe for air filled ice cream instead then?
Old 05-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh well I guess that makes sense, but is there a way to mathematically calculate a recipe for air filled ice cream instead then?
No, because it's a physical process. It's not a matter of how much you use; it's the structure of the ice cream that's the problem.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Oh okay thanks. Well I just feel like I am using so much of it. The ice cream goes a lot faster as a result too.

Could it also be that the blender I am using is too good at liquefying it, and I need a blender that does a lesser job of thinning it out maybe, or one with lower settings?
Old 05-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I'd look for an ice cream recipe and use the unfrozen batter, adding ice and alcohol of your choice. Makes sense to me. Here's a recipe..
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...lla-ice-cream/

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

But the unfrozen batter, would make the milkshake even more thin since batter, is thinner of it's not frozen?
Old 05-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Again, measure by weight. The cheaper ice creams with more air whipped in will weigh less per unit volume than premium ice creams.

Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
But the unfrozen batter, would make the milkshake even more thin since batter, is thinner of it's not frozen?

That would be true, come to think of it. Actually the recipe for ice cream above has lots of other info on to get a dense ice cream that would be perfect for your needs.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Keep the alcohol you use for these drinks in the freezer (that is always where I keep my gin and vodka). Also (like when making ice or whipped cream), put the blender vessel in the freezer for 20-30 minutes beforehand.

Use HaagenDaz ice cream... it is much firmer/icier than cheaper, chemically stabilized ice cream. You could also add a little ice or frozen fruit to the alcohol(if your blender is up for the challenge), and blend well before adding ice cream.
ScottinPollock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Oh okay thanks. When you say I can also add a little cream, do you mean different ice cream besides the HaagenDaz?
Old 05-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I didn't say you could also add a little cream. I just said it is common practice to chill everything that comes in contact with the mixture when making ice cream or whipped cream.
ScottinPollock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That would be true, come to think of it. Actually the recipe for ice cream above has lots of other info on to get a dense ice cream that would be perfect for your needs.

Thomas Jefferson Ice Cream is what I had in mind.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...lla-ice-cream/

and this...https://www.monticello.org/site/rese...ions/ice-cream

Old 05-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Oh okay. Well that kind of ice cream with egg yolks I made in the past, but I didn't like that egg taste though. But maybe if it's just plain vanilla the egg taste might not be as bad, because I tried other kinds with it before, like raspberry and popcorn flavor, and did not like the egg taste.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Again, measure by weight. The cheaper ice creams with more air whipped in will weigh less per unit volume than premium ice creams.

It seems to me that the problem is the structure of the ice cream, not the amount. When there's a lot of air whipped into it, it just can't hold together when liquid is added.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Oh okay, so if there is air in it, then it's still the same amount even if there is more, and I'm not going to put on any more weight, compared to less air filled ice cream?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oh okay, so if there is air in it, then it's still the same amount even if there is more, and I'm not going to put on any more weight, compared to less air filled ice cream?
I'm trying to say that since there's air in it, it will collapse more easily when mixed with liquid than solid ice cream would. The amount doesn't matter, so you can use as much or as little ice cream as you want.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Oh okay thanks. I thought the amount did matter, so you don't end up too full or bloated.

Tags
cream, ice cream, milk

« Perfect Sorbets | - »