Junket Flan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCJoe

Senior Cook
Not exactly frozen but chilled quite nicely.

Junket Flan can be put together fairly quickly as a process.

You will need some small glass custard bowls into which dark brown sugar that is dissolved in a little hot water glazes the bottom. Pour this into the bottom of the cups to a depth of 1/4 to 3/8 inch depth. Then place them into the freezer a few minutes to set firm.

You will need some Junket tablets,(2) milk, vanilla, dark brown sugar, a little luke warm water (to dissolve the Junket tablets in) Too hot of water or milk will destroy the properties of the Junket tablets, so be cautious.

Heat 4 Cups of whole milk to about 98 degrees F. (no hotter)

Stir in 4 TB of dark Brown Sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla

Dissolve the 2 Junket tablets in 4 tsp of luke warm water (not hot)

As the Junket is dissolved add this to the warm milk mixture and stir gently until completely mixed. This then sits a few minutes and begin to thicken, but is still pourable.

As this step is done place the custard cups on the counter so that they can warm up some. But the brown sugar in the bottom will remain firm.

As the Junket custard is beginning to thicken hold a serving spoon over the custard cups with the back of the spoon facing you and gently pour the custard mixture over the spoon so as not to stir up the brown sugar glaze in the bottom of the cups, and fill near to the top of the cup.

Allow these to sit so that the custard thickens firm. Once firm you could dust these with a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon. (optional) Then place back in the fridge until cold.

The goal in timing is to allow the brown sugar glaze in the bottom to thaw and
reach a syrupy consistency such that it isn't solid or too grainy.

This is an inexpensive treat in normal times but is quite useful when someone is ill and doesn't have much of an appetite. With it being the winter Flu season right now this may be a handy dish to have on hand. And it's quick & easy to make.

If you don't want to make it as Flan with the brown sugar syrup in the bottom you can simply use different flavoring extracts. Lemon, Orange, Coconut, Vanilla butter nut, chocolate-rum, and so on. Even add a drop or two of food coloring. I've even made this with Bombay Bourbon Vanilla extract.

Last edited:
I didn't think they still made the Junket tablets. My mother used them in her ice cream custard mixture.

Gosh... haven't heard "Junket" in donkey's years! For us it was for puddings.

Like medtran, didn't know it still existed but evidently a large chain grocer close to me supposedly carries it. Who d'thunk.

Back
Top Bottom