Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I made this using fresh mint from the garden.

Mint syrup:

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 hand-full of mint leaves ( @ 1/4 cup), washed, stems removed. [Note: I used a combination of chocolate mint and peppermint leaves]

Add the sugar and water to a small, heavy-bottomed pan and heat over medium heat, stirring, to dissolve the sugar.

Bruise the leave and add them to the syrup, cover reduce the heat to low and let heat for 5 minutes. You want it to have a nice mint taste but not TOO strong as the flavor will intensify when cold.

Turn off the heat and let sit until cooled then strain into a container, cover and refrigerate the syrup for about 1 hour until well chilled.

Ice Cream:

1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup of mint syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6-8 good sized mint leaves (washed and stems removed)
1 small bar dark chocolate
1/4 cup mini-chocolate chips

Be sure the milk, cream, and syrup are well chilled.

Mix together the milk, cream, syrup, and vanilla and add to your ice cream maker following the machines instructions.

Roll the mint leaves together and chop them up very very fine and add to the mixture. [Note: my machine has an opening in the top for adding the "add-ins" like chips, nuts, etc.]

Chop up the dark chocolate bar into small chunks and add to the ice cream along with the mini chips per the machines instructions for add-ins (usually in the last 5 minutes of the churning).

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds extraordinary and I've copied it down to try later. I love chocolate mint. Thanks Dave!

My favorite! I have a strong urge to go buy a ice cream maker :pig:

YUM!!! I have LOTS of mint!!! And the summer of 2012 is my summer to make homemade ice cream!!! How lucky for me that this is when you've posted this recipe!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom