Warning: don't till a mook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
So yesterday I am at a store refilling essentials (whiskey, wine, and vanilla ice cream) and they are out of Håagen-Daz. As I was looking for the Ben & Jerry's I came across Tillamook. Hmmm, there cheese is pretty good, right? Lets check out the ingredients… cream, egg yolks, skim milk, milk, natural vanilla. Almost the same as Håagen-Daz. I did notice a couple of stabilizers (which Håagen-Daz does not use), but Ben & Jerry's use them and it is still pretty good ice cream… so let's give it a try.

BIG Mistake. Way too much air, a texture akin to plumbers putty (with not a hint of ice), and overall pretty tasteless. Actually has me thinking of jumping ship on their cheeses for something better.

Just a friendly word of warning.

I've never seen that brand of ice cream. I am forewarned.

I buy a local brand of vanilla bean in quart containers. The texture and flavor are spot on.

I have never had that experience with Tillamook ice cream, unless it's changed in the last 6 years. It was one of the things I missed when we left Montana for Wyoming.

There is a grocery store down the road from me where I got to know the butcher rather well. He taught me a lot and suggested books for me to find
on meat cutting. I did, and it has been quite helpful.

One of the things he told me was that he and his wife were really into making ice cream as there wasn't anything he liked that came packaged....or that he couldn't make better for the same price. He explained that he and his wife
were "empty nesters" and the two big chest freezers weren't keeping near as much food on hand as they once did. The wife had gone "yard saling" and they now had some 50 plastic ice cube trays to make ice with and still room for plenty of ice cream.

He showed me this product at his store called Junket, which are rennet tablets for coagulating milk. (make simple custard for babies, puddings, etc) But he said it makes the best vanilla ice cream, which can be flavored & colored to whatever you like.

A Classic Vanilla Ice Cream recipe dating back to the late 1800's

The recipe he gave me calls for eggs and he told me to heat the ice cream mixture to a rather warm temperature before freezing it. Ironically it freezes faster when warm.

Ingredients:

3 large eggs

1 1/4 C sugar

3 C half & half cream

one or two tsp quality vanilla or other flavor of your choice.

4 Junket tablets dissolved.

Method:

Beat eggs for two minutes

add sugar to this and beat two more minute

add half and half and stir well until well mixed.

Now heat over low heat until warm but do not overheat

When the mixture has cooled a bit add the dissolved Junket tablets and mix well.

Pour into freezing canister add dashers, and assemble the churn.

When loading the churn a ratio of 1 part of salt to 6 parts of ice tends to work best for freezing.

Once the ice cream is frozen, carefully remove motor from the churn and remove the dashers. Re cap the canister and place bath towels over the top
of the churn and allow this to sit a bit to "ripen". Make sure not to get any salty water in your ice cream.

Junket

junket_front_P1061129.JPG

Not knowing exactly where along the mountain range you are, I picked Fresno for Graeter's ice cream's store finder. Graeter's. Whole Paycheck in Fresno sells it! Graeter's ice cream is dense, rich, delicious. Although the pint container says four servings, we usually get five. In fact, if we have "his and hers" pints in the freezer, I can be satisfied with just a couple of spoonfuls. It's that rich!

https://www.graeters.com/

If you ever try Trader Joe's coffee ice cream (or other flavors but my favorite is coffee) you will be ruined for any other brand. JMHO

But I do like HB coffee (I like the little single serving "dixie" cups with the plastic paddle/spoon in the lid), butter pecan and chocolate chocolate chunk ice creams.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom