What's your favorite ice cream or frozen dessert treat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ok. We haven't had a "What's your favorite..." topic in a while, so I'll start one. But you ahve to know that it will have the Goodweed twist.

What's yoru favorite ice cream or frozen desert treat, and give us your favorite reicpe, be it a milk shake, a smoothie, a sundae, or whatever. It can include anything you like frozen and for desert, even trout ice-cream if you so desire (you know, like from iron chef:LOL:)

My favorite frozen treat, hmmm, I'm not sure it's my favorite, but it's the one I order most often, or make at home.
Strawberry Malted Milk
Ingredients:
3 to 4 scoops Blue Bunny sugar free Strawberry Ice Cream
3 tbs. malt powder
3 tbs. home-made strawberry freezer jam
Milk

Pack ice cream scoops into a 16 oz. tumbler, add remaining ingredients, with milk added last to fill the glass to 1/2 inch below the rim. Use milk shake attachment on the hand blender and buzz it until silky smooth, but with strawberry chunks from the jam. Oh Mama!

But then again, a really good fruit smoothie made with fresh fruit is mighty good too. Too many good things and only one life to enjoy them in. Heavy sigh.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mine is also a malt - vanilla malt, but as you say, with a twist - for those who need to stay lactose-free:

Using my Hamilton Beach frozen drink mixer;

I put in several scoops of TCBY frozen yogurt,
3 Tbls. of Carnation Malted Milk Powder,
A small dash of stevia (natural sweetner with 0 carbs, 0 calories)
1/4 tsp. of vanilla extract (real or artificial),
1 egg yoke (to add richness to the yogurt)
Ice cold water added just a little bit at a time and slowly, just bringing the texture to a thick slurry.

My favorite ice cream are vanilla with real strawberries in it and pistachio ice cream. what i usually like to make at home is a variation of hot fudge and banana split
here is how i make it:
1 scoop berry.strawberry ice cream
1 scoop chocolate ice cream
1 scoop vanilla/coffee ice cream
1/2c corn flakes
1/2 choco chips
1 c hot choco fudge
maraschino cherries
whipped cream
crushed almonds/pecans/peanuts
crushed granola bar
banana slices
direction
-scoop the ice creams in a big bowl
-add corn flakes, nuts, choco chips adn bananas at the side
-spoon in hot fudge at the top
-a dollop of whipped cream
-cherries on the top

as for the frozen treats I do love a good smoothie...my faves are berry smoothies as well as ripe ang green mangoes combo

classic banana split

My favorite frozen dessert has a story.

In 1982, I joined Weight Watchers to lose a few pounds before my wedding. Before the class started, another member and I were trading recipes, and she gave me this one. It's no wonder we were all having so much trouble getting the weight off!

Now, this is BAD stuff. Nothing is really homemade. It's one of those "a package of this and a jar of that" kind of recipe from the back of a package that I usually shun. You know the type - they're at every pot luck and picnic you've ever been to. But I really like this one, and I pull it out of my bag for an easy summer dessert. But you can bet I never give out the recipe - my fans that are used to all my scratch recipes would be disillusioned!

Oreo Creme de Menthe Pie

24 Oreos
1/4 cup butter

Pulverize in food processor and press into pie pan. Chill.

Combine:
1 small (7 oz) jar marshmallow fluff
1/4 cup green creme de menthe

Whip 2 cups of whipping cream and fold into the fluff mixture.
Pour into crust and freeze.

A good chocolate malt milk shake. Yummmmmmm

Next would be a root beer float.

Haven't had either in years, come to think of it.

I have to admit I do not like ice-cream. Not that I dislike it but I can happily live without ever touching the stuff. ;)
However I also have to admit I recently found a non-dairy pomegranate chip sorbet, and oh my gosh, I can’t get enough of it. I told my wife not buy it anymore because I get the whole container and do not stop till I finish it. 4000 calories in one seating. People live on less per day. :(

:LOL: Horrible stuff, strongly recommend not to touch it.

hard to beat ben and jerry's or hagen das(sp?)...Too many B&J flavors to choose from..

American dream(vanilla with fudge covered waffel cone pices)

half baked(cookie dough and brownie batter)

chubby hubby(pretzel nuggets covered in fudge and filled with peanut butter, in a vanilla malt ice cream, swirled with fudge and peanut butter)

are probably my top 3....so hard to choose though....

My all-time favorite, and most requested ice cream dessert:

French Vanilla Ice Cream

makes about 1 1/2 quarts

1 vanilla bean
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cups sugar
4 teaspoons flour
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 extra large eggs
1 teaspoon Bourbon Madagascar vanilla extract (the vanilla I prefer for all desserts)
2 cups light cream

1. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and use the tip of a small sharp knife to scrape out the seeds. Add the bean and the seeds to the milk in the top of a double boiler. Scald the milk mixture.
2. Mix sugar, flour and salt. Add the hot milk, stirring constantly, and return to the double boiler. Stir over boiling water until thickened.
3. Beat the eggs and add a small portion of the hot mixture. Return to the remaining hot mixture and cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture coats a metal spoon. Chill thoroughly.
4. Add the vanilla extract and cream, and freeze in a hand-crank or electric freezer, following the instructions given with either.

Teacher’s Tips: 1. Make the ice cream up to step 4 and refrigerate it overnight. The next day, it’s a snap to add the cream and churn it to perfect consistency. Do let it “set up” in the freezer for several hours before serving so the flavor reaches its peak.
2. When the ice cream is partially frozen, you can choose from many interesting adds to toss into the mixture: M and M’s, chopped Oreo’s, buttered, toasted pecans, chocolate chips… Let your imagination bring out the kid in you!

My favorite is either a Tropical or Hawaiian blizzard from Dairy Queen. Both are full of fruit and nuts.

Peanut butter cookies:
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
Mix all together and drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

No flour, no leavening...and they are fast and fantastic! Not much of an ice cream or cold dessert person.

To bring PrincessFiona's desert into the proper context for this thread, simply break them up and fold into a great french-vanilla ice cream. And I have made the recipe she presented. It makes a really good cookie.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I swear my mom doomed me the day she gave me my first food...ice cream. I could live on only ice cream if I had to! My favorite brands are Friendly's and Ben & Jerry's and the flavors that I love are endless...pistachio, mint chocolate chip, chocolate peanut butter chip, cookie dough, swiss chocolate almond, etc for Friendly's and Ben & Jerry's...oh gosh! Cherry Garcia, Strawberry Cheesecake, half Baked, Oatmeal Cookie, Dublin something or the other, Phish Food...the list truly could go on and on!! And I am more than happy to make any Friendly's ice cream a sundae...caramel is my all time FAVORITE topping but I am VERY flexible!!

Good topic Goodweeeeeed!

My favorite ice cream is French Vanilla...Lady Bordon used to be the brand, but I haven't seen that in years. Blue Bunny makes a great one, though. I also love Bunny Tracks.

As for making a frozen treat, I don't care for homemade ice cream, but I do like a black cow (root beer over vanilla ice cream) or seven up over orange sherbet, or vanilla ice cream melting on warm cobbler or bread pudding.

Connie, do you have a really good bread pudding recipe? Mom used to make that when I was a child, but I never got her recipe.

Okay, I thought of a frozen treat that I LOVE...but rarely buy. Sheer Bliss Dark Chocolate ice cream. All natural and it comes in a metal can. It takes me about a month to eat all of it...because a little goes a long way.

I can think of a few...

a warm brownie topped with french-vanilla ice cream and hot fudge or chocolate syrup

cream soda poured over orange sherbet or orange soda poured over french-vanilla ice cream

rootbeer floats

strawberry-banana or orange banana milkshakes
-strawberry ice cream combined with a frozen banana and a little milk
-orange sherbet combined with a frozen banana and a little milk

gelatos

I love gelatos...italian ice cream is just different than your regular ice cream...my faves are the fruit flavor, nuts like wallnut and pistachio as well as the italian chocolate ones!!!:LOL:
florence-gelato1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom