"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Now you've given me two more reasons to never go back packing or other wilderness activities that require me to walk a lot and carry all my own food.

Do you realize what a pony keg weighs??? Mumble, mumble..

Ross
Old 10-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

More good through hiking food. Cheese in an aerosol can. It doesn't matter if it's 100 degrees on the trail day after day, you've got cheese (well, cheese-like).
Into the mystic
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post

Ross

We actually brought a 1/4 keg strapped to a sled
on a winter hiking trip once. We had to keep it near the fire cause tap kept freezing up.
Into the mystic
Old 10-26-2017, 01:46 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post

Ross
The Rocky Mountain backpacker's bar guide: 151 proof rum (better alcohol to weight ratio); dry daiquiri mix; dry margarita mix. Find a snowfield and gather some wild cocktail ice. Mix your drink of choice using, cold, filtered fresh water from a high mountain stream.

At 11,000 feet, a little liquor goes a long way.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

2 thumbs up, BT and RP...

Ross
Old 10-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #26
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Just checking this out while I eat my crackers and pasteurized process cheese product.

CD
Yeah, but are they real crackers, or pre-fabricated edible snack wafers?
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

"creme"
Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
"creme"
Another one!

You could double down and have chocolatey creme frozen dairy dessert!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Ice cream made of cream is available. It might be hard to find in a small town, though.
Well, that was kind of my point. Anything is available for the right price. I am talking more about general tendencies.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Breyer's and Edy's/Dreyers are the two biggest culprits when it comes to "frozen dairy dessert". Heck even our cheapest store brand that's sold in an old school brick is ice cream!

Breyer's and Edy's lost my business with these shenanigans, there are plenty of brands at the same price point or cheaper that are actual ice cream. These fake ice creams also melt super fast since they are mostly air. Blue Bell and Blue Bunny are my current supermarket favorite brands, Turkey Hill isn't too bad either.
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
We actually brought a 1/4 keg strapped to a sled
on a winter hiking trip once. We had to keep it near the fire cause tap kept freezing up.
Do you remember the Coors Party Balls? I've done some backpacking trips where the men carried all the camping stuff in our back packs, and the women had nothing but Party Balls in their packs. Well, that and tequilla and shot glasses.

CD
Old 10-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Yeah, but are they real crackers, or pre-fabricated edible snack wafers?
Ritz crackers. Could go either way -- I don't want to know.

CD
Old 10-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Breyer's and Edy's/Dreyers are the two biggest culprits when it comes to "frozen dairy dessert". Heck even our cheapest store brand that's sold in an old school brick is ice cream!

Breyer's and Edy's lost my business with these shenanigans, there are plenty of brands at the same price point or cheaper that are actual ice cream. These fake ice creams also melt super fast since they are mostly air. Blue Bell and Blue Bunny are my current supermarket favorite brands, Turkey Hill isn't too bad either.
Blue Bell is a Texas tradition for ice cream. They have had some hard battles with bacteria in the last couple of years, but they have done the right thing, and pulled products off the shelves until they could be sure they were safe. I love their old-fashioned vanilla. I also love Hagen Daz coffee ice cream.

CD
Old 10-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

There is a long time ice cream parlor/restaurant chain in MA called Brigham's. They were famous for their great ice cream. The ice cream shops are gone now but the ice cream is still available in quart containers in super markets. It costs about $3.50 for a quart and it's still great. I like the vanilla bean flavor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vanilla_clean.png
Views:	292
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	28267  
Old 10-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Do you remember the Coors Party Balls? I've done some backpacking trips where the men carried all the camping stuff in our back packs, and the women had nothing but Party Balls in their packs. Well, that and tequilla and shot glasses.

CD

Those were some pretty strong and curiously attractive women!

We used to being Party Balls on canoe trips. They fit in the center of the canoe with the coolers.
Into the mystic
Old 10-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Those were some pretty strong and curiously attractive women!

We used to being Party Balls on canoe trips. They fit in the center of the canoe with the coolers.
Hey, finding women who enjoy wilderness camping is the big challenge.

CD
Old 10-28-2017, 10:34 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm starting to like women who can carry a small keg on their backs, wherever they want to go.

Looks are highly overrated...
Into the mystic
Old 10-29-2017, 02:13 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, did you take that from my freezer? *walks to refrigerator*pulls out freezer drawer*sees Brigham's is still there* Never mind. For the good stuff, it's either Brigham or Graeter's. Graeter's is spendy, but much cheaper than heading to an ice cream stand...which isn't open this time of year anyway.

I'll cop to buying the Edy's, a no-sugar-added vanilla. It's our all-purpose ice cream to use along side of a serving of fresh fruit (it melts nicely so you can coat the fruit in a sweetened, creamy coat) or to plop into blended drinks. We swear ice cream is what Bahama Breeze adds to their version of the Painkiller drink. When we added a bit of Edy's it gave the drink the right mouth-feel.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

I LOVE coffee ice cream and this is the ONLY brand I buy now. I've been spoiled.

Trader Joe's Coffee Bean Blast Ice Cream

Click image for larger version

Name:	78580-coffee-bean-blast-ice-cream.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	28268

In the world of ice cream, all quarts are not created equal. At Trader Joe’s, our quarts really deliver.
This is Tara Miller of Trader Joe’s. Ice cream is sold by volume, not weight, and some ice creams weigh more than others. Why the weight difference? Ice cream of lower quality has high overrun. That’s the amount of air whipped into the ice cream. High overrun equals lots of air. And lots of air equals lighter quarts.
Trader Joe’s Coffee Bean Blast Ice Cream has very low overrun. It’s thick, rich, and so creamy. And then there’s the flavor. Some coffee ice creams don’t even use actual coffee. Coffee Bean Blast has big, bold, intense coffee flavor from brewed Colombian coffee and bits of finely ground French Roast coffee. We think it’s the very best Coffee Ice Cream on Earth. Or beyond, even, on other planets whose populations value ice cream.
We’re selling very heavy quarts of Coffee Bean Blast Ice Cream for the down to earth price of $3.99, every day.

This is why people scream for ice cream. Trader Joe’s Coffee Bean Blast Ice Cream is, in our most humble opinion, the very best coffee ice cream available anywhere on planet Earth. Or beyond, on other planets whose populations value ice cream. Lest you think we hyperbolize – which we would never, ever do – we’re about to tell you exactly what makes this ice cream so special.
First and foremost, our Coffee Bean Blast Ice Cream has very low overrun. Overrun, in ice cream speak, is the amount of air that’s whipped into the ice cream – the higher the overrun, the lower quality the ice cream. Because there is so little air in this ice cream, it is thicker, richer and creamier than lesser quality ice creams. And then there’s the flavor. Big WOW here. Some coffee ice creams have a little coffee flavor – some don’t even use actual coffee. Our Coffee Bean Blast Ice Cream features big, bold, intense coffee flavor that comes from brewed Colombian coffee and bits of very finely ground French Roast Colombian coffee in every bite.
You might expect the best Coffee Bean Blast Ice Cream in the galaxy to come with an otherworldly price tag. On the contrary, we’re selling quarts of this creamy creation for the very down to earth price of $3.99 each, every day.

Ingredients

Cream, milk, sugar, egg yolks, coffee, espresso beans, cocoa processed with alkali, coffee extract, carob bean gum, guar gum.
Contains milk and eggs.
We can be like they are.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #40
Sous Chef

I agree with Steve. Locally made ice cream is much better than supermarket - except here in Italy! The ice cream is great. While there is supermarket stuff, every coffee bar (nice little places, set up to produce excellent coffee (they say that good coffee should be black as night, hot as hell and sweet as love), but they also make awesome ice cream. I can't stand supermarket stuff, when the home-made is so good.

Invitations extented for those who wish to come and try it!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dessert, frozen