10-lb. Sirloin Tip Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koral280

Assistant Cook
I have never had much luck getting a nice juicy medium rare sliced roast beef and was hoping someone out there could give me some pointers for this large hunk o' meat I couldn't resist buying. I do NOT wish to make a pot roast, those I can cook well all day, I want a lovely, juicy hunk o' meat that I can slice up for sammies. Tips, hints, someone to come over and teach me, anything welcome!

Thanks!

Kat

Check the internal temp, 130F for rare. You could take it out a bit before that (115-120), as the temp will rise due to carry over cooking. Be sure to let it rest for 30 minutes or so for a large cut of meat.

140-145 for medium rare, so take out when it hits 130F, LET IT REST. I didn't mean to use caps on that, but left them because that's the secret to juiciness...

You may want to consider cutting the roast into two. A ten-pound roast is huge! You may be better served with the smaller size.

I'll second Andy M's 400*. I use a probe thermometer and normally pull at around 120*, foil tent for at least 30 minutes and then slice. If it's for future use (lunch meat) I'll let it cool in the fridge, especially if I'm slicing very thin, as it helps firm up the meat. I've also used this cut this for 'gatherings' and have sauteed some diced onions in olive oil, added the drippings, then whisked in a Tbs of flour, then a cup of red wine, then a box of beef broth for au jus. If I smoke the roast, I'll trim some of the heavy fat after the meat is cooked and let it cook in the au jus and remove before serving.

I have never had much luck getting a nice juicy medium rare sliced roast beef and was hoping someone out there could give me some pointers for this large hunk o' meat I couldn't resist buying. I do NOT wish to make a pot roast, those I can cook well all day, I want a lovely, juicy hunk o' meat that I can slice up for sammies. Tips, hints, someone to come over and teach me, anything welcome!

Thanks!

Kat
Here is how I do it..

I season the outside liberally with what ever seasonings you prefer.
Pre-heat the oven to 500F. Place the roast (on a rack) in for 10 minutes. After that without opening the oven door, drop the temp to 260F. Allow that to cook for 1hr then check with a meat thermometer. Keep cooking until the internal temp hits 135. Pull it out and let it rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing.

With this method there is no reason to sear it first. The outside crusts up nicely and the inside is always juicy and full of flavor.

Here is how I do it..

I season the outside liberally with what ever seasonings you prefer.
Pre-heat the oven to 500F. Place the roast (on a rack) in for 10 minutes. After that without opening the oven door, drop the temp to 260F. Allow that to cook for 1hr then check with a meat thermometer. Keep cooking until the internal temp hits 135. Pull it out and let it rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing.

With this method there is no reason to sear it first. The outside crusts up nicely and the inside is always juicy and full of flavor.
i do the same thing BUT i first rub roast all over with olive oil then season. crank oven to 500F and roast for 15 minutes then lower to 350F and roast 15 minutes per pound. then i check temp (try not to poke it to many times or the juices will run out), i remove at 115F, i like mine red to pink in center and warm. let stand 20 minutes then carve. (i like an eye round which is always tender and juicy.) and i agree with what you said about a nice crust with the 500F oven sear.

i do the same thing BUT i first rub roast all over with olive oil then season. crank oven to 500F and roast for 15 minutes then lower to 350F and roast 15 minutes per pound. then i check temp (try not to poke it to many times or the juices will run out), i remove at 115F, i like mine red to pink in center and warm. let stand 20 minutes then carve. (i like an eye round which is always tender and juicy.) and i agree with what you said about a nice crust with the 500F oven sear.
I think the 350 may be better for beef.. I will give that a shot. I do the lower temp for the pork and automatically do it for beef. I like pork a bit more done than beef.. The higher temp will cook a bit faster, less deep into the meat leaving the beef a bit more rare..

I think the 350 may be better for beef.. I will give that a shot. I do the lower temp for the pork and automatically do it for beef. I like pork a bit more done than beef.. The higher temp will cook a bit faster, less deep into the meat leaving the beef a bit more rare..
yes do try it. the oil and the 500F starts to build a nice brown crust. then the 350F carries it along and like you said brings it to med rare in quick time. i usually cook a 4 to 5 lb eye round about 1 hour, due to the fact that it is long and slim it always comes out nice and pink without to much brown depth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom