2 pounds of oxtails...and no ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
I have two pounds of tails thawing out for tonights dinner..

I'd love to get some ideas from you guys on what to do with them.
I'm looking for something NOT tomato based...it can have tomatoes in it but not as a main taste. Hubby is tired of all the tomato things I make him. lol.

Thanks!

smiles, T:chef:

Oxtail soup, with barley. mmmm. Brings back memories. That was my mother's best soup.

Do you have a recipe Pacanis? Or do I just make my regular beef soup ( using the oxtails instead of stewmeat?)

I don't have a recipe. It was basically a beef and vegetable soup with barley. I love barley and have attempted it myself a few times using regular beef. I remember she would leave the meat right on the bones. A lot fell off, but there was a fair amount of rolling the small bone around your mouth to get the meat off, too.
I wish I had her recipe.

If you have time, Braised Oxtails with Fennel. Braise as you normally would but substitute fennel for the onion.. delicious..

Serve with a curried mashed potato or mashed turnips with carrots... very nice.

I love simple stews and all kind of soups. Ox tail happened to be great for either one. If you go with soup you have more options.

Katie, that sounds great...

What happens if I leave the parsnips out ( don't have any) ..can I add some potatoes instead. I know it will be a little different but..

and does the meat just fall off the bones...or do you serve the soup with the bones?

You can leave the parsnips out if you don't have any but, you're right, it will taste a little different. And, yes, the meat melts off the bone. When you get the chance, do make it using parsnips. They add a great flavor undertone.

I'm another oxtail stew fan, (I'd love to have a couple pounds laying around). But the braised oxtail sounds great also. Decisions, decisions. Oh well, either way, you win!!!

PHO!!!!!!!!

I am a little late on this but sounds great this time of year!

Oxtail soup! Like pacanis, my Mom made this and we would fight over the bones to chew off the remaining meat. There was nothing left for the dogs after her 5 boys got through with it.:LOL: Her recipe was very similar to Katie's recipe.

nice slow braise with leeks celery parsnips and carrots-in beef stock -gage

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom