"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #21
Senior Cook

I never have canned soup in the pantry....can't even bring myself to buy it without feeling guilty (too much salt, preservatives etc....). Have a couple of soup cookbooks though, and tons of soup recipes!

But the recipe sounds intriguing, comforting....so, instead of that dreaded can of tomato soup....what would I use....hmmmm, pondering......
Soma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Soma, the equivilent in chopped tomatoes would do. Or go for the extra step and make a tomato sauce first.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Sounds good....will make this for supper tonight. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Soma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #24
Executive Chef

making it today after years of not-
I had a hankerin for it popped into my mind when I was a supermarket early this morning-gave my husband 3 choices of dinner options one being this-all 3 totally different none even close to the same, he chose this-the garlic well it calls for garlic so in it it went-looking forward to this as it's been literally years, hope it's as good as I remember
Old 01-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #25
Executive Chef

I love cabbage. I eat it a couple times a week. I have been making something similar for years, but without the tomato soup. No recipe. Just thrown together so I can eat cooked cabbage. I have made the Unstuffed Cabbage recipe though, but used canned diced tomatoes instead of the soup.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #26
Executive Chef

You’re just being a good breath type a person��
Old 02-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Making Carpathian Cabbage tonight, cold&windy here so far and know it’ll be cold again tonight. Haven’t had this forever-now my only thought is rice/noodles/mashed potatoes?
Blessed night to you all...
Old 02-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
Making Carpathian Cabbage tonight, cold&windy here so far and know itíll be cold again tonight. Havenít had this forever-now my only thought is rice/noodles/mashed potatoes?
Blessed night to you all...
Can't help you with that--but really nice to see you back on DC!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:48 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I was just thinking tonight I have left over ham and a head of cabbage. My first thought was a mock cabbage roll idea. But, my wife said if we do it we should do it with hamburg cause sometimes when we donít do things the classic way even if itís delicious it just doesnít hit that spot that govern your craving.

So I needed ideas
Old 02-28-2020, 02:22 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin86 View Post
I was just thinking tonight I have left over ham and a head of cabbage. My first thought was a mock cabbage roll idea. But, my wife said if we do it we should do it with hamburg cause sometimes when we don’t do things the classic way even if it’s delicious it just doesn’t hit that spot that govern your craving.

So I needed ideas
Have you tried cabbage roll soup or meatloaf? I think I posted my cabbage roll meatloaf recipe once upon a time...you line the meatloaf pan with blanched leaves, do your meatloaf filling as if you were making cabbage rolls, pat 1/2 of that in the pan, chopped blanched cabbage, more meat, chopped blanched cabbage, tomato sauce, and then fold the cabbage leaves you used to line the pan over the top, cook for 1-1/2 hours (depending on the size of the meatloaf) at 350. Cover for until the last 10 minutes. If you want to add a topping at that point, sauerkraut or grated parm. I cook on a wing and a prayer. If you have kimchi, add that to the cabbage layer...
Old 02-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
I never have canned soup in the pantry....can't even bring myself to buy it without feeling guilty (too much salt, preservatives etc....). Have a couple of soup cookbooks though, and tons of soup recipes!

But the recipe sounds intriguing, comforting....so, instead of that dreaded can of tomato soup....what would I use....hmmmm, pondering......

When I havenít had tomato soup@home but had all else to make this dish, I remember opening a large can of diced tomatoes drained off the juice&used it-saved tomatoes jarred in frig for another time
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Fun remembering how much I love this particular dish. Made Carpathian Cabbage tonight and IT HAS BEEN YEARS. Fun rereading the recipe which couldn’t be easier. Made a very flavorful rice for the CC to go over/or live close to it on the plate and really buttery (sliced on the bias) zucchini which the hubster adores. Glad I remembered how much we liked it. Cut recipe in half as there’s only the 2 of us.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #33
Executive Chef

That's what's nice about this recipe, you can make a smaller amount and it's a lot less work than rolling the cabbage rolls. When I do that, I end up with a lot to share.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None