Another thin flank steak post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I am also the proud owner of a piece of thin flank steak. I noticed that jabbur asked what to do with a thinner piece. My piece is about 3/4" to 1" in thickness. I am following jabburs thread, so I am watching the suggestions there.

What would you make? I don't want to discourage replies that include tomato, but I won't be trying those at this time, so I hope I get suggestions that do not include tomato or other nightshades.

How about a nice teriyaki marinade and then grill it quickly? Perhaps peppers and onions and even pineapple on a kebab with the same marinade.

Asian dishes came to my mind, too. Besides the typical stir-fries, one that would be good in the summer is a Thai beef salad, in which the beef is marinated, then grilled, and sliced thin, to be used as the main component in the salad.

I cut up flank steak for use in a Chinese pepper steak dish I make. I also tenderize it and grill it in addition to stuffing and rolling it as mentioned in the other thread.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll marinade and grill it and then I'll have it handy for cutting across the grain for a salad later in the week. I love being able to just grab a piece of cooked meat and cut it up for a salad.

Speaking of Asian, When I was in the Philippines, a popular street food was Monkey Me at on a Stick, which was really either chicken, or pork. But the idea could be easily used with your beef. Cit into thin, inch-wide strips. Marinate in a cornstarch slurry made with cornstarch, soy sauce, onion, garlic, Mirin, or rice wine vinegar, and a touch of honey. Before punting in the marinade/slurry, run bamboo skewers lengthwise through the meat strips. Let sit in the marinade for 20 minutes. The skewers can be roasted, poached in oil, oe grilled over fire. Because the meat is so thin, these cook very fast. By the time the coating is lightly browned, or opaque if oil poached, it's done. Serve wit grilled, tropical fruits, and sweet peppers, and squid ink rice.

Just another idea for you.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom