Any good recipes for Hungarian goulash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or maybe Steve likes leftovers and your first husband didn't, Kayelle. I remember as a teen I would spend hours talking to the young mom two doors down. I babysat their kids, and she was like the older sister I didn't have. I could not believe when she said she had to make sure she always have "just enough" for dinner at night since her husband refused to eat leftovers. There were certain dishes my Mom would prepare that we probably showed great restraint eating the night she made them just so there WERE leftovers! Wines and cheeses aren't the only foods that improve with age!

My first wife's recipe....
Step 1 Boil a package of elbow Marconi,
step 2 Drain and put back in pot.
step 3 Pour in a quart of shur fine tomato juice.
step 4 If you feel like it brown a pound of hamburger and mix it in. If you are tired from doing nothing all day but sitting on the couch then don't. Its too much work.
step 5 call it Goulash

My first wife's recipe....
Step 1 Boil a package of elbow Marconi,
step 2 Drain and put back in pot.
step 3 Pour in a quart of shur fine tomato juice.
step 4 If you feel like it brown a pound of hamburger and mix it in. If you are tired from doing nothing all day but sitting on the couch then don't. Its too much work.
step 5 call it Goulash

Run Jon, run!!!!!!!!

The issue of exactly what goulash is comes up from time to time and it is a pretty lively topic. This was an innocent thread about American Chop Suey, take a look and you will see what I'm talking about! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/american-chop-suey-89006.html

I think my husband's distain for leftovers is because he thinks it's a sign that you are poor, and to him, being poor would be the worst thing on earth. I grew up poor, and he has no idea. I rarely throw things out. I can eat leftovers for lunch the next day and I used to love taking them for lunch when I was working.

He had friends who were a struggling young family and they saved all leftovers for the whole week and then one night would be "leftover night." His wife would get it all out and heat it up and put it on the table. Each person ate what they wanted and nothing was thrown away. DH laughed his head off at that.

I had a friend growing up who would get a fresh cooked meal every night, but the leftovers from the night before were also heated up and put on the table. If you didn't like what was cooked for dinner, you ate the leftovers.

There were never leftovers when I was growing up.

Carolpa, my recipe comes from Gourmet which has potatoes in it. It states to peel and dice the potatoes 1/2 inch cubes. Add to the goulash for the last 20 minutes. I like the potatoes too!

Any, I don't see beef shanks around here very often. Will you suggest a substitute?

Sorry, Linda. I forgot he used beef shanks. I used 2.5 pounds of boneless chuck roast. That's my 'go to' cut of beef for stews and braises.

I got this from a Hungarian cookbook sold to the English, before the Iron Curtain fell.

Borgracs Gulyas (Caludron Gulyas)

Ingredients-:

1.5 pounds of beef ( I use cut up sirloin or pre-cut stew meat)
2 oz. lard (I use canola oil or olive oil)
7 oz. onions
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp paprika
pinch of caraway seed
pinch of marjoram
1 tsp salt
2 pounds of potatoes
5 oz green pepper
5 oz tomatoes
2 oz flour
1 egg

Cut the beef into small cubes, and place in a saucepan ( I use a cast iron dutch oven.); add lard, finely chopped onions, garlic, paprika, caraway seed, marjoram, and salt; stir well, add a little water, cover and let simmer, stirring it from time to time and adding a little bit of water every now and then to prevent burning..... I fry the meat and onions in the oil, then add all the mentioned ingredients except I put a bottle off beer in instead of water, later I add water per the directions...... When the gulyas is half cooked add the sliced green peppers, tomatoes, and diced potatoes ( I also add a couple of sliced carrots) and pour sufficient water to cover. Simmer until tender. Before serving, knead 6 oz. of flour and 1 egg into a stiff paste, tear with fingers into small squares - csipetke - and cook in boiling salt water. Strain and add to gulyas. If fresh tomatoes and green paprika is not available, add 4 !/2 oz. of lecso and 1 T. of tomatoe puree.

When I was growing up my mother made goolash using macaroni, hamburger, and canned tomatoes, added paprika - it was good but not the same.

I imagine paprika, like all spices, and salt and pepper is a personal thing. One can always add more but you can't take it out. My friend in Port Alice put too much smoked paprika in her paella and it was unfit to eat. I know I always put more spice in my dishes than what is called for.

I have so many different kinds of paprika it's hard to keep them straight.

Chicken paprika and Rao's Lemon chicken are on my short list after Labour Day.

Loved the article. I LOVE Gulasc, and often make it in winter. Recently I found a recipe for gulasc with pork rather than meat - it was surprisingly good! I used what was called pork shoulder but looked more like a large thick slice of pork leg, with enough fat to guarantee a good result. Well worth the effort, but now I'm going to use the recipe posted here.

Many thanks

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Thanks for the article, GG. I am reminded of a "discussion" I had with a member long departed about goulash. He insisted his recipe was the only authentic recipe for goulash!

Back
Top Bottom