Ball tip steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I bought some ball tip steak today because it was reduced. It was surprisingly white, well, kind of pink, not red. Since the original price was already fairly low for beef prices I assumed that this is a tough cut of meat and so I am braising them. But I just wondered if that is what you folks would do with them. I still have 1/2 of the package left to cook. What do you think?

I would cook it in the crock pot with some onion and beefy mushroom soup for 8 hrs on low. It will fall apart, and make awesome gravy!

One of the supermarkets here always has whole eye of rounds on sale at a very good price. I can't resist buying them, so I always have some in my freezer. It can be tough and very lean, so it can be dry. I usually stew it. Bourguignone, Carbonade. Sometimes I will slice it thin and pound the heck out of it and fry it up for fajitas. I've also roasted it and let it cool for sandwhiches the next day. I am looking for other ways to cook it because it is decent, cheap meat. And one thing my daughter will eat.

I've never heard of this cut, but when in doubt about red meat (or pink!) or game, I brown, then braise (preferably using part red wine) and make stroganof. Mushrooms, red wine, and sour cream seem to compliment tough and/or strong flavored meat.

i'm thinking will put down a layer of sliced onions in my crockpot. then the steak. fresh mushroom or canned(haven't decided ) cut in half. then two pks of beef gravy mix in two cups of water over the whole thing. then just let it go five or so hours. serve in mashed potatoes. of course will season steak and onion layers. usually pepper, garlic powder and paprika. will let you know how it turns out.

babetoo said:
i'm thinking will put down a layer of sliced onions in my crockpot. then the steak. fresh mushroom or canned(haven't decided ) cut in half. then two pks of beef gravy mix in two cups of water over the whole thing. then just let it go five or so hours. serve in mashed potatoes. of course will season steak and onion layers. usually pepper, garlic powder and paprika. will let you know how it turns out.

Sounds like a good plan- might want to wait til the last hour or so to add the mushrooms or they might get too mushy though. This should be fabulous gravy for the potatoes too :) Oh, but you might want to brown it before you put it in the crockpot. It adds some flavor and improves the appearance

I used to grill Ball tips when I could get them cheap.
A nice compound butter or blue cheese works well with this steak to add soem extra flavor.

I grilled over indirect heat like a Tri-tip.They are popular in central/southern CA like the Tri-tip.

Sounds like a good plan- might want to wait til the last hour or so to add the mushrooms or they might get too mushy though. This should be fabulous gravy for the potatoes too :) Oh, but you might want to brown it before you put it in the crockpot. It adds some flavor and improves the appearance

two good thoughts. i was a bit worried about the mushrooms. will definitely brown it first.:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom