Baron of beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treblecat

Assistant Cook
I bought a piece of meat that was advertised as "baron of beef". The website I found that explained what that is suggests either roasting or braising. This roast is round, tied up, and is covered in a layer of fat. Should I braise it? What's braising?

Baron of beef can refer to different cuts of beef depending on where you are/live....Since you do not say where you are I can only guess...Also you do not state the size/weight of the piece of meat which also may offer some clue......My guess is you have a rolled and tied rump (from the round) roast...It could be roasted, but braising may be a better option...Click Here to read about braising meats...

Welcome to DC!!

Have Fun!!!

I remember years back when I was young cook working banquets they call a large rump roast a baron of beef. Some of them were over a hundred pounds.

Here's what Dr. Gourmet Says...

A Baron of Beef is alleged to have originated when Henry VIII was served a spit roasted double sirloin of beef and was so taken by the roast that he dubbed it Sir Loin, the Baron of Beef. Whether this is true or not, the term has come to refer to the large joint of beef that includes the loins and both legs. Baron of Beef is a British term and in the U.S. the designation has come to be synonymous with any cut of beef that it well suited to roasting or braising such as top round, inside round, bottom round or the steamship round.
You could cook any of these in the style of a pot roast and serve it to your guests. telling them that it is a Baron of Beef. The name "pot roast" is a misnomer because the meat is actually braised or allowed to cook gently for a long period of time in its own juices. Because top round is lean, the cut would be a healthier choice.
Thanks for writing and thanks for your kind words about my recipes,
Dr. Gourmet

I bought a piece of meat that was advertised as "baron of beef". The website I found that explained what that is suggests either roasting or braising. This roast is round, tied up, and is covered in a layer of fat. Should I braise it? What's braising?

That sounds like a top round roast. My mom used to make those, and she roasted them. They were incredible. I have not seen one prepared like that in decades. Where are you located? Are you in US?

I do hope you didn't overpay severely for it. Top Round roasts are pretty much dirt cheap, and it sounds like yours just didn't get the requisite trim.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom