Beef broccoli - fishy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ravich

Assistant Cook
So I've made this beef broccoli recipe before:

Thai Beef Broccoli

It turned out well, but it seems a bit fishier than I would like, and I *think* the oyster sauce is to blame, since I know what fish sauce tastes like. Any recommendations based on that recipe? I'm thinking something slightly sweeter and less fishy but I'm not quite sure.

I don't use oyster sauce and only use fish sauce rarely but it seems to me that you could just switch the amounts of fish sauce and oyster sauce around in that recipe. Just a guess though.

I'd skip the fish sauce entirely, and split the oyster sauce 50/50 with soy sauce.
Or keep the fish sauce (which I dearly love), reduce the oyster sauce to 1/3 and
use soy to taste.

I have a question 'bout that fish sauce. I have never used it before, nor ever felt the need to. But, however, I recently started watching Luke Nguyen's show from the Food Network. I like the show alot, &, just enjoy it to bits, but, I noticed that the main "staple" ingredients that he uses are fish sauce, chili/chili oils, sugar & vinegars & such.
Well, at some point in time, I decided that I too, should give this fish sauce a chance, &, bought a bottle of KAME fish sauce. Couldn't wait to get it home to open the bottle up. Well, once home, & opened, I took half of a sniff of the concoction, &, very nearly almost immediately wanted to cut my nose straight off from my face. No offence intended to any who DO like it/use it, but...I am at a cross-roads for myself now. I simply just can't even bring myself to give this stuff a taste, but...can't help but wonder if any out there have had a similar reaction, but, then got "over-it"?
PS - the chili oil turned out to be a nice surprise!

Ravich, what kind of oil did you use? Was it canola?

Fish sauce is to Thai cooking what soy is to Chinese. Don't hesitate to use it. Also, oyster sauce won't give you a fishy taste/smell at all.

Yes, I used canola oil. I'll try it with soy instead of fish sauce and see what happens. I dont mind fish sauce in the slightest when I use it in curries, peanut sauce, etc for the record.

Can I substitute soy sauce for fish sauce at a 1:1 ratio?

... but...can't help but wonder if any out there have had a similar reaction, but, then got "over-it"?

Yeah, it definitely has a distinct aroma. :sick: But it does not taste like it smells at all. I thought I would hate it too. But I found a great fried rice recipe on Steamy Kitchen that I was determined to make. I'm so glad I did! It turns out perfectly every time. Just don't inhale through your nose when you pour it. :LOL: I swear you'll love whatever dish you use it in.

But if you're really really scared just start with half of what the recipe calls for and taste. =) You'll probably end up putting close to the full amount in to get the right flavor.

Last edited:
@ Zereh....wow...thanks for the boost of confidence that I was looking for. After I purchased my bottle, then watched Lukes' episodes, I was quite critical....I even began to think that I MUST have bought the wrong kind of stuff - JINKIES :(
I suppose that I will give the sauce a "proper go" just to be fair ~ thanks for the encouragement!!!

@ Zereh....wow...thanks for the boost of confidence that I was looking for. After I purchased my bottle, then watched Lukes' episodes, I was quite critical....I even began to think that I MUST have bought the wrong kind of stuff - JINKIES :(
I suppose that I will give the sauce a "proper go" just to be fair ~ thanks for the encouragement!!!

I love the stuff but you do not want to see how it is made...

So I've made this beef broccoli recipe before:

Thai Beef Broccoli

It turned out well, but it seems a bit fishier than I would like, and I *think* the oyster sauce is to blame, since I know what fish sauce tastes like. Any recommendations based on that recipe? I'm thinking something slightly sweeter and less fishy but I'm not quite sure.

I would cut back on the oyster sauce and add a bit of soy.

Is it possible that one or more of your sauces has been around too long?

Craig

Fish sauce never goes bad, as it's already fermented.

Please don't cut it out! It's the best part! And if you do, call it Chinese, not Thai.

I blame the oyster sauce...

Fish sauce never goes bad, as it's already fermented.

Please don't cut it out! It's the best part! And if you do, call it Chinese, not Thai.

I blame the oyster sauce...

Sorry, I can't hold with anything that is a food product never going bad or at least "changing" from the original with age. Somethings may have a longer shelf life than others, but that doesn't mean they can't get "funky" with age.

Craig

I go through fish sauce and soy sauce pretty quickly but I've had a bottle of fish sauce sit out unrefridgerated for mote than a year and it was fine.

But you are right that its taste might have changed. If it became more concentrated I would have liked it even more!

We've had some soy (kept in fridge) after 6 months not seem quite right.

Craig

Ravich, try a different oil and don't change anything else. If that doesn't work, try the other suggestions.

I have found canola oil can impart a fishy taste to some foods that have no kind of fish content at all.

K, that's the first thing I'll try. What are my options here? Regular old vegetable oil? Olive oil? I've heard of people using peanut oil for cooking because it has a higher smoking point or something like that. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

K, that's the first thing I'll try. What are my options here? Regular old vegetable oil? Olive oil? I've heard of people using peanut oil for cooking because it has a higher smoking point or something like that. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Peanut or corn oils will do the trick. Not sure about the smoke point of vegetable oil. The designation is too broad. Skip olive oil its flavor is not appropriate to Asian dishes and the smoke point is probably too low.

Can I substitute soy sauce for fish sauce at a 1:1 ratio?

No. Fish sauce is WAY more concentrated flavor than soy, and has a different
flavor signature. .5 to 1 maybe...

I never use oyster sauce because I never finish a bottle. Usually for that kind of dish I just use water, cornstarch, soy sauce, white pepper and a bit of rice wine. Sometimes I will dribble in some sesame oil, depending on the dish.

Back
Top Bottom