Beef Chuck Eye Roasts Slow cooked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I decided to make these 2 - 3 lb beef chuck eye roasts. On sale for $3.29/lb.

In a large roasting pan:
2 medium onions chopped about 2 cups
3 large cloves of garlic chopped or teaspoon of dehydrated garlic
1 quart of water
3 tablespoons beef base
1 pint of thick tomato sauce
2 teaspoons thyme
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon anchovy paste
4 tablespoons ground dried shiitake mushrooms

(optional: 1/2 cup red wine, pepper)

I mixed up all the stuff above for a braise in the roaster pan. Cut up the 2 - 3 lb roasts into chunks. I cut them about 1 inch by 1 inch but larger or leaving them whole would still work.
Add the beef. Do not cover.
Cook at 350 degrees F for 1 hour to get it all hot.
Turn down oven to 275 degrees F and let cook stirring occasionally for 4 hours or until about half the liquid is gone. As it cooks the beef browns and the top of the thickening liquid browns giving it a beautiful flavor.

I just tasted it and it tastes luxurious. The beef is fork tender. The sauce is not smooth but lovely. I hope you try it.

I have not used a Chuck Eye roast, and had to Google it just now to find out how it differs from a Chuck Roast. It seems what I usually use is a Chuck Blade roast.

I did a 16-hour sous vide on a Chuck Blade roast a few weeks ago. Kroger had USDA Choice Chuck roasts on sale for $3.77 a pound (Blade). I finished the roast on my Weber Kettle with some hickory wood. It tasted good, and was tender, but turned out rather dry.

I may need to just do a slow braise instead, next time. Or, find a Chuck Eye roast.

CD

Chuck eye steaks are also very good and look almost like a ribeye steak. But you must look for perfect ones. I always look under the others to see if the butcher hid any there.....LOL. And I will not buy them unless they are close to perfect.
We had two last night. Mine medium rare and it was very tender. Excellent.
I can remember when you could buy chuck eyes for $1.99 a pound.
Since they are not very large I did not look at the price per pound on the package. But found two beauties in the meat case and put them into my cart.
I happened to look at the package before making them and the price was $8.99 a lb.

That is higher than ribeye and NY strip.
Butcher (not sure if they are real butchers anymore) told me they can only get so many from the chuck and they are very popular.
Still they are have grown in price faster than the traditional expensive cuts.

Last edited:
I always buy chuck roast when it's on sale for $3.99 a pound or less and cut it into steaks myself, if that's what I want. I usually use chuck for pot roast or other braised beef dishes.

Looking at today's sale papers, ribeye, New York strip and lobster are all on sale, since Valentine's Day is coming up. One store does have chuck roast or steak for $3.97 a pound. Might need to go grab some.

Butcher (not sure if they are real butchers anymore) told me they can only get so many from the chuck and they are very popular.
Still they are have grown in price faster than the traditional expensive cuts.

That must be a function of the size of chuck roast cut the store receives. Most grocery stores don't get whole primal cuts. A whole chuck roast cut directly from a steer weighs about a hundred pounds.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/fl/What-Is-the-Beef-Chuck-Primal-Cut.htm

The roasts (chuck eye) are boneless. They have a good amount of marbling and some thicker seams of fat. For the most part it all goes in the braise except for 1 inch by 1 inch pieces that are mostly fat, those I trim. During the braise, almost all the fat and connective tissue soften and render. Out of 6 lbs I probably threw away only about 4 ounces of fat. The result had good reviews by son and hubs.

It sounds really delicious, bliss. I thought RB's comment was on the other thread about chuck roast, so my comments here might be a tad confusing ;)

I always buy chuck roast when it's on sale for $3.99 a pound or less and cut it into steaks myself, if that's what I want. I usually use chuck for pot roast or other braised beef dishes.

Just my opinion, but chuck eye steaks are a top shelf cut.
A good chuck eye steak sometimes looks like a small ribeye and is just as tender.
You're not going to get chuck eye for $3.99. Or I should say we cannot get them that cheap.
Once they figured out how good this cut is, the price has risen dramatically.
Kinda like flank and skirt and even chicken wings.

Let me correct myself. IMO, chuck eye steaks are in the same league as NY Strip and Ribeye. I have never seen a whole chuck eye personally.

You just said the same thing with different words... ;)

And you are correct. Chuck steak and chuck eye steak are not the same by a country mile.

It's just one rib down the spine, actually...

Back
Top Bottom