Beef Heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
first, you bought a broken heart. and now you plan on eating it?

geez, women a cruel.
That's how it was sold. I have a grass-fed beef heart coming from the person that sold TL and I "Conrad." Now that I've test-driven brining and smoking heart, I'm chomping at the bit to do another one.

Chomping at the bit, eh? Is horse coming after that? :wacko: ;)
I know that horse is eaten in many cultures, including Quebec, but I draw the line at eating horse. To me, horses are companion animals that happen to live (most of them, anyway) outside. Horses are great therapy animals and well, eating horse to me is akin to eating dog or cat. No thank you. It has taken me some time to get used to eating an animal that had a name...but then, Conrad had a good life before he made it to my freezer (and table). I do prefer getting meat from local farmers who raise their animals humanely. Yes, it costs more than the supermarket, but even the DH had to admit that the rib eye steak I cooked for him the other night was one of the best steaks he'd ever eaten. I like to think it was the quality of the meat being grass-fed beef...but it might have been the skill of the cook.:rolleyes:

I haven't posted in a long time, because many of the attitudes here are very strange.

First , beef heart is affected as much by quality of handling as anything. If it is not shown the proper respect by the butcher, you can get a pretty off tasting product. However if you get a good one and freezing does not harm it, it will be quite good.

One quy posted that it is tough and needs slow cooking. My answer to that is buy new teeth

Since, it is one of the organ meats, be aware it is very nutritious.

My daughters love it. There are many ways to prepare it. I sometimes put it in a frying pan with a little butter and sliced onion and when it is still a little pink in the middle serve. Oh by the way I did cut them in strips and wherever they curled I would slice across the muscle.

or.... I would place it in a pan with water and seasonings and boil for a while, but not too long, then rub with olive or coconut oil and throw it on the grill.

The possibilities are quit varied.

I haven't posted in a long time, because many of the attitudes here are very strange.

My answer to that is buy new teeth

You are saying "many of the attitudes here are very strange." Where do you fit in yourself then, with your "teeth" comment?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom