Beef Jerky....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
K we have an idea and would like to know if you think it's possible.

Once you have your Jerky made, do you think it's possible to brand it?

Sure. We have never made any, but have quite a few bbq buddies who make it all the time. I'll see if I can get some info from them.

Jerky - Water/Smoker Method

1 1/2 pounds beef flank steak
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 cup non-iodized salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ginger

Fire up your smoker and start settling the coals in for a long slow smoke before starting the rub. Pat the meat dry with a paper towel and slice it, with the blade of the knife 30F to the horizontal, across the grain, creating strips 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. In a small mixing bowl, blend together the sugar, salt, paprika, garlic powder, pepper and ginger. Rub this mixture into the meat, putting the spiced strips on the grill, but don't fill the water pan. Give the jerky 3 to 5 hours of smoke at 130 to 180F. propping the lid open a crack if the temperature threatens to rise disastrously beyond the desired range. When the strips are chewy-crisp, remove them from the heat, let cool, and store individually in plastic wrap. Refrigerate to store longer than a few days.

Rainee, You say in this recipe to refridgerate to last more than a few days. Does it not have a long shelf life? I wanted to use for the wedding gifts at the tables rather than jube jubes, jelly beans, bubbles, fruit cake yuck!!! ect. Do you have a recipe for one which does have a long shelf life?

The How-to

Making jerky at home is fairly simple. There are a few rules you have to follow. First of all, you need lean meat. As we said earlier, fat goes rancid in a hurry. Meat of choice is beef, round steak or flank steak. You can use venison, buffalo, antelope, elk, and there are a few who believe in turkey jerky.

A food dehydrator makes good jerky. If you dont have one, you can use your oven or smoker. The sun drying process will probably take too long for most folks to want to try it.

The meat is cut into strips no more than a quarter inch thick by about a half or three-quarters inch wide and six or eight inches long. Cut the meat across the grain like you were slicing a brisket. If the meat is frozen to the point where it just has ice crystals in it, its a lot easier to slice. You can either freeze it or thaw it to that point. Use a sharp knife. Remove all fat and white tissue.

The Texas Link To Jerky Making
Texana Book Review Seasoning
Pioneer jerky was seasoned with just salt and black pepper, and then dried. Today there are two methods for seasoning the jerky -- the quick-cook method and the marinade method. We prefer the quick-cook method as it gets rid of a lot of little bugs that may be lurking in the meat.

Simple Quick-Cook

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Drop the jerky in for a minute or two until it turns white. Dry it with paper towels, season with dry seasonings and then dry it.

Quick-Cook Seasoning

Hot Marinade

2 cups salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cider (if you cant get cider, cut back to half cup of sugar and use apple juice)
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 quarts water
Mix it all in a large pot and bring to rolling boil. Dont overload the pot. Make two or three batches if needed. Leave the meat in until about one minute after the rolling boil returns. Pat dry and take to your dryer.
Cold marinade (for approximately 1 pound of meat)

2 tablespoons soy sauce 2 drops Tabasco
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
Mix all and put in Zip-Lock bag with meat. Massage to get meat well coated. Refrigerate overnight. Pat dry and put in dryer.
As with any of my recipes, the above is not written in stone. I urge my readers to experiment to find the flavors that are perfect for them. I would like a decent amount of cayenne and some onion powder in my seasonings. You might want to try a little chili powder for a Southwestern flavor. However, dont leave out the salt, it helps draw the moisture out of the meat.

Getting the Moisture Out

If you are of pioneer spirit and want to try sun drying the jerky, you will need to find something to hang it on where the pieces of meat do not touch. You put a little cotton string in the top of each piece to hang it by. The meat goes into a location where it will get sun all day. You will need to cover it with cheesecloth to keep the bugs off. It will take several days to dry. You have to bring it in at night to keep the morning dew off.

Jerky is "done" when it has turned nearly black and, when you bend it, it will crack but not break.

The good dehydrators will come with instructions for making jerky. Follow those directions, as they will vary from machine to machine.

Easiest way is to dry the jerky in your oven. You will need a wire rack or something like that for the jerky to rest on. You want a cookie sheet in the bottom of your oven to catch the drippings. Set the oven at 140 degrees and leave the door partially open. It will take six to eight hours to cure the jerky.

If you have a smoker, I think that would be the best since it will give you some great smoke flavor. You will need only a small amount of coals for the drying. If you use charcoal, about six or eight bricks should do. If you are using coals, about a handful of them. You are not cooking the jerky, so keep the temperature down to about 140 degrees. This method will take about six or eight hours. You will probably have to add some coals or charcoal as you go.

I cant find anyone who makes jerky in a microwave. I think the meat would cook rather than dehydrate in the zapper.

Storage

When your jerky is done, let it cool completely. Then put it in zip-lock bags or air tight jars. It will keep better in the icebox, and it can be frozen. Ive found that if you zap frozen jerky in the microwave about thirty seconds, it will thaw and get tender.

There you are boys and girls. Whip up a batch of jerky to give your friends and relatives for Christmas. They will think you are so neat.

Darby's Beef Jerky

1 Cup Soy Sauce (preferrably Kikoman)
2/3 Cup White Zifandel Wine
1/3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/3 Cup Fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
2 TBSP. Liquid Smoke
5 Cloves Garlic
1 Small onion
5 Pound Rump Roast

Combine liquid ingredients and brown sugar
in medium mixing bowl. Liquefy garlic and
onion in food processor and add to mixture.
Cut rump roast into strips 1/4 inch thick
and no longer than 6 inches long and 3 inches
wide. Place strips in mixture above, cover and
let them marinate in refrigerator overnight.
Remove the strips and place on paper towels.
Pat dry excess liquid from strips. Salt and
pepper and add Montreal Steak seasoning (to
taste) to the strips. Place strips in
dehydrator and strips should crack when you
bend the them when they are done. Enjoy!!!!!!!

I think that you should be able to brand it after you make it into jerky. Give it a shot and see what results you get.

Back
Top Bottom