Beef tongue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the idea of this. I am all about tongue, and tripe, and all kinds of meats we don't normally use (though I have yet to get Beloved Wife 100% on board). One of my fave go-to cookbooks is Dariana Allen's Forgotten Skills of Cooking which is like the Joy of Cooking for Irish Country cookery...

Glad it went well, I am in Pennsylvania, and I think this weekend I will go out to the good PA dutch butcher and see what horrifying tripe I can get my hands on, and cook it, Beloved Wife be darned! I'll report back..

TBS

I want to know about how to cook the tripe. I've never had it but if it sounds good I'm up for anything.

Tripe comes in two forms, and consists mostly of collagen. It is the stomach lining of cattle and comes in four distinct forms. It is often boiled until tender, and used in in soups and broths as it adds a bunch of collagen, with is a healthy cousin to protein and provides textural body to the broth. You will find it in a lot of Vietnamese soups, called Pho. It is used as a filler in most commercially made breakfast sausage in the U.S. Here is a link to tripe recipes -
1. Roman Style Tripe Recipe - Allrecipes.com
2. Tripe Aita recipe | Epicurious.com
3. Deep-Fried Tripe Recipe | Serious Eats
4. Trippa Alla Fiorentina: Florentine Tripe : Recipes : Cooking Channel

Tripe is nutritios, but bland in flavor. After cooking, it can be ground and added to sausage, ground beef, taco filling, etc.

I happen to enjoy it as is in soups, or fried as in the above listed recipe. In Western society, we tend to turn our noses up at offal, such as tripe, sweetbreads, liver, and such. These were staples to our great, great grandfathers. Don't be afraid of tripe. It's good stuff.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

...and while it is boiling, it stinks up the entire kitchen!

That's why you boil it outside.;) You pick a lazy day, build the fire, or break out the turkey fryer, put the tripe into your large pot, or dutch oven, Let it simmer for seveeral hours while you mow the lawn, or build your new tool shed, or enjoy the swimming pool, or just lay in the hammock with your favorite beverage. Check the pot every half hour or so to make sure there's enough liquid, and continue with your day. See, it ain't hard.:rolleyes:

And SLOB, you're a better man than me. I took the bait as soon as the "tongue in brine" words were entered.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's why you boil it outside.;) You pick a lazy day, build the fire, or break out the turkey fryer, put the tripe into your large pot, or dutch oven, Let it simmer for seveeral hours while you mow the lawn, or build your new tool shed, or enjoy the swimming pool, or just lay in the hammock with your favorite beverage.
Until one of your neighbors calls the utility company to complain about a really bad gas leak?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom