Beef tongue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizStreithorst

Senior Cook
I just put my tongue in the brine. It's supposed to soak in the brine for at least a week before I braise it. I might go 2 weeks. Good things come to those who wait.

I just put my tongue in the brine. It's supposed to soak in the brine for at least a week before I braise it. I might go 2 weeks. Good things come to those who wait.

Wow! You're a trooper. I couldn't leave my tongue in a glass of milk for five minutes, let alone a week, and I love milk.:ROFLMAO: (Ok, it wasn't all that funny. But you know me and my cornball humor.)

Oh, you mean the cow tongue. Yeh, he won't mind. He's up there with his dad and grandpa, not to mention he mom and grandma, eating from a perfect field on a perfect day.;)

Good luck with your tongue trial. If my DD's ever read this, they'd be rolling their eyes at me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I wondered if I'd get a comment like that when I wrote "I put my tongue in the brine and will leave it to soak for at least a week" It does sound humorous.

My personal tongue is just fine where it is...permanently stuck in my cheek.

Wow! You're a trooper. I couldn't leave my tongue in a glass of milk for five minutes, let alone a week, and I love milk.:ROFLMAO: (Ok, it wasn't all that funny. But you know me and my cornball humor.)

Oh, you mean the cow tongue. Yeh, he won't mind. He's up there with his dad and grandpa, not to mention he mom and grandma, eating from a perfect field on a perfect day.;)

Good luck with your tongue trial. If my DD's ever read this, they'd be rolling their eyes at me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief,
Share that peace pipe.

On topic, I am in awe of the OP.

Gosh, in awe of me for this? Anyone can do this. Easy peasy. Most of the time I'll spend on it will be waiting for the brine to work in the fridge and waiting for a 250 degree oven to do it's magic.

Liz, do you have follow along directions for us? SousChef (DH) is Jewish and raised in New York but he has no first hand experience or memory of it being prepared.

Edit: Whoops, I just saw your link. Thanks Liz

Last edited:
I too would be very interested in how it goes!

Last edited:
Pickled tongue is definitely an acquired taste. I for one hate it, even though I grew up Jewish, eating Jewish food. To pickle it you basically can use corn beef recipe. It is exactly the same idea. Good luck.

I left it in the brine for 13 days because I wanted it to penetrate the tongue through and through. I stuck it in the 250 oven at 10:30 this morning. The aroma is fantastic making me drool in anticipation but it has to stay in the oven for 3 more hours. However will I survive for that long smelling it and being unable to eat it?

I will be heart broken if it disappoints me. I'll let y'all know.

lol. It wasn't a pretty sight when I removed it from the brine and gave it a wash. It looked like a big dead tongue. I got over it because I know how wonderful it can taste.

OK, that's it. Now I'm really game to try it. I have just the right tall container to brine it in the fridge but it's see through. Hope I can keep anyone but us from seeing the inside of our fridge for two weeks. :ermm::ohmy:

Last edited:
Hi hope you like it as much as I. The tongue didn't give me the heebie jeebies when it was fresh and I'd I put it in the brine, only when I took it out 13 days later. Who knows why? I just made myself get over it.

I may brine my own corned beef next time I get the yearning for it. I have to drive to the next town to dread Walmart for a corned beef. The local supermarket will cut me a piece of brisket that is better quality than the packaged corned beef.

Back
Top Bottom