Best Steak for Cold Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a situation like this, it seems to me that your Mark is reaching out to you. Hospital is a difficult place to be. He must be thinking of you, to want the things you do for him at what must be for both of you a very stressful time. Next time you take him something that YOU'VE done for him, take him a beautiful red rose at the same time. On the question of food, take him a portion of best quality sliced roast beef, you decide what else. That'll cheer him up. Look after yourself too. Sounds to me you're going through a very hard time. I'm sure everyone here will be thinking of you.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

+1, di.

Hi, Joel. I use either thinly sliced leftover rib eye or tri tip for steak salads, since that's what I grill most often. I live alone and even one rib eye is often too much for one meal. :)

Another thought....you could also crumble and brown some ground beef, season it with a little cumin and maybe some chili powder to taste, and prepare Mark a taco salad. A ziplock of shredded cheese, and a little container of ranch from your fridge, and you're all set. :yum:

+1, di.

Hi, Joel. I use either thinly sliced leftover rib eye or tri tip for steak salads, since that's what I grill most often. I live alone and even one rib eye is often too much for one meal. :)

Another thought....you could also crumble and brown some ground beef, season it with a little cumin and maybe some chili powder to taste, and prepare Mark a taco salad. A ziplock of shredded cheese, and a little container of ranch from your fridge, and you're all set. :yum:
I love the taco salad idea, thanks! Mark loves taco salad. Well, his mother’s taco salad, of which one of the ingredients is thousand island dressing. Very Mexican!

Last edited:
I've always used top sirloin.

When I was eating salad every day I would buy a whole bunch of those Starkist tuna pouches at the 99¢ Only store. They have at least 15 different flavours
I also use top sirloin...

I have totally forgotten about those tuna pouches.. When I lost 30some lbs to control diabetes, I ate many of those.. I liked them and will have to revisit that product.. :)

Ross

I think my cheapy steak was top sirloin, as well. About 1” thick. I salt cured it for about an hour and a half beforepan searing it; about three minutes on each side. It came out great. Very juicy, and much less tough than I expected it to be. I sliced it really thin, made a couple of sandwiches for Mark (he ate them both!), and put the rest in the fridge. Thanks for all your advice, folks.

Sirloin steaks for salads here, because that is the cut we most like for grilling.

Personally, I like cold roast beef sandwiches, but I'm not roasting anything in the oven this season. I s'pose I could crock pot one, but I've never done that. As an aside, it's just something to look forward to later.

Steak may be good and taste tempting for Mark. Chicken slices up nicely too. You can sub chicken for the meat portion, especially in taco salads or whatever as well. It doesn't always have to be diced up in a mayo based chicken salad.

Wishing a speedy recovery for Mark and I hope your energy level remains strong.

Sirloin steaks for salads here, because that is the cut we most like for grilling.

Personally, I like cold roast beef sandwiches, but I'm not roasting anything in the oven this season. I s'pose I could crock pot one, but I've never done that. As an aside, it's just something to look forward to later.

Steak may be good and taste tempting for Mark. Chicken slices up nicely too. You can sub chicken for the meat portion, especially in taco salads or whatever as well. It doesn't always have to be diced up in a mayo based chicken salad.

Wishing a speedy recovery for Mark and I hope your energy level remains strong.
If you do it in the slow cooker, it will be a pot roast. But, that can be done with cheaper, tougher cuts than a good roast beef. Sliced or cubed pot roast works well in salads. It makes good sandwiches too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom