Best Way To Cook Steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same here. My daughters, SIL's, and grands will only eat well done steaks. It hurts to ruin a good rib eye, IMO. :( We've moved on to burgers when we grill, while my brother and I enjoy separate grill outs with rare to medium rare steaks. :yum:

And my family complains why I always end up with the biggest steak and I tell them you want well done, they'll shrink in size. :LOL:

I'm kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned dry brining. We don't eat a lot of steak, but it really does make a difference. I've had some relatively inexpensive steaks come out great with dry brining. And to reiterate, you need a good thermometer, as temperature is critical.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...pes/how-grill-better-steakhouse-steaks-recipe

Good point. I have done this, too. It does make a difference in flavor, even if you only do it for 24 hours. The meat doesn't look pretty, but it doesn't need to be trimmed like a long dry-aged cut of beef. Once you cook it, and get a nice sear on the outside, it looks like any other steak. But, the loss of water does make the steak moor "Beefy," IMO.

CD

Same here. My daughters, SIL's, and grands will only eat well done steaks. It hurts to ruin a good rib eye, IMO. :( We've moved on to burgers when we grill, while my brother and I enjoy separate grill outs with rare to medium rare steaks. :yum:

My SIL would only eat well done steaks, and over time, I managed to pull off a decent well done steak. As much as it seems like a waste of money, a good cut of beef is even more important on a well done steak. You need a good amount intramuscular fat to cook a steak that much, and keep it tender and somewhat juicy.

CD

My SIL would only eat well done steaks, and over time, I managed to pull off a decent well done steak. As much as it seems like a waste of money, a good cut of beef is even more important on a well done steak. You need a good amount intramuscular fat to cook a steak that much, and keep it tender and somewhat juicy.

CD

Yes, good marbling is key for sure. Fat is flavor. :yum:

My DH won't eat steak less than medium, and prefers well done. But, for some reason, he enjoys steak tartar. I do not understand. And yes, he will eat some raw fish too.

Dry brining will improve a steak. It will not make it more tender or remove gristle which were the OP's original issue.

Gristle is more of a cheap cut of meat issue, IMO. Fat and gristle are not the same thing, again, IMO. Gristle is more like tendon than fat.

The only thing I can recommend as far as gristle, is spend more for a better cut of steak. Talk to the butcher where you buy your meat. Tell the butcher what you want, and what you don't want, and let the butcher "steer" you in the right direction (pardon the pun).

My philosophy on buying steak is simple. I don't eat steak on a daily, or even weekly basis. So, I don't mind going off-budget to get a really good cut of steak. It is a treat. It is an occasional luxury. I go for the best cut, and cook it the way I described in an earlier post. I pamper my steak. If I can only afford to do that once a month, then so be it. I'd rather eat good steak once a month, than eat bad steak every day.

CD

Last edited:
I like my steak medium rare to medium (warm and pink in center). I tell my family that I will cook steaks and roasts to medium rare to medium. If they want it more done they can cook theirs more. You can always cook it more but you can't uncook it. I'm not going to ruin a beautiful pricey piece of beef.

NOW on the other hand ground meat of any kind has to be well done for me. All the bad germs are mostly on the surface. So as long as a steak or roast is browned on the outside I'm good. But ground meat has no surface area it's all ground up & mixed in.

I like my steak medium rare to medium (warm and pink in center). I tell my family that I will cook steaks and roasts to medium rare to medium. If they want it more done they can cook theirs more. You can always cook it more but you can't uncook it. I'm not going to ruin a beautiful pricey piece of beef.

NOW on the other hand ground meat of any kind has to be well done for me. All the bad germs are mostly on the surface. So as long as a steak or roast is browned on the outside I'm good. But ground meat has no surface area it's all ground up & mixed in.

I cook my ground beef to at least medium well, not because of germ worries, but because medium rare ground beef feels mushy in my mouth -- I just don't like the texture.

CD

Bison Tataki......

39817-albums371-picture6205.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for all your replies. Yes, I live in Antrim, in Northern Ireland. I usually buy sirloin, but it sounds like I need to look for something more tender. It sounds strange because someone who works in the butchers recommended sirloin for grilling. My husband and I both like our steak medium rare, so I guess I'm cooking if for too long, but I can't think how or when I lost the knack. I'm not even sure I'll get the opportunity to try again as dh doesn't want to risk eating another tough steak.

Gillian

Thanks for all your replies. Yes, I live in Antrim, in Northern Ireland. I usually buy sirloin, but it sounds like I need to look for something more tender. It sounds strange because someone who works in the butchers recommended sirloin for grilling. My husband and I both like our steak medium rare, so I guess I'm cooking if for too long, but I can't think how or when I lost the knack. I'm not even sure I'll get the opportunity to try again as dh doesn't want to risk eating another tough steak.

Gillian

You may have hit on a great way to reduce the grocery budget!!!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

i prefer rib eye and the porter house aka boneless t-bone.
i don't have a grill.i don't. care for the grease splatter all over the stovetop.so i bake mine.i preheat the oven to 350F.while i prepare the steak on a baking pan.in which i choose the seasoning i prefer at the time.then cover it with foil to avoid drying out.then bake 30 minutes.it comes out done n tender.

i don't have a grill.i don't. care for the grease splatter all over the stovetop.so i bake mine.i preheat the oven to 350F.while i prepare the steak on a baking pan.in which i choose the seasoning i prefer at the time.then cover it with foil to avoid drying out.then bake 30 minutes.it comes out done n tender.

The porterhouse is a bone in steak. Cut from the same area as a T-Bone with more of the filet than the T-Bone.

Pan frying would beat baking it for 30 minutes. The only way I would use my oven for steak is the broiler function.
Let it heat to cherry red, put steak as close to top burner as possible.

The porterhouse is a bone in steak. Cut from the same area as a T-Bone with more of the filet than the T-Bone.
That's what I was taught and how I have seen it in every beef cuts chart I have seen.
Pan frying would beat baking it for 30 minutes. The only way I would use my oven for steak is the broiler function.
Let it heat to cherry red, put steak as close to top burner as possible.

When I was a kid, the only ways I ever saw steak cooked were on a charcoal grill or in the broiler. I was really surprised the first time I saw someone fry a steak. Now, that's how I usually do it.

Back
Top Bottom