Blast from the Past-Pigs In The Blanket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I wen to a Catholic School for 6th, 7th, and 6th grade. The lunches were perpared at the school by a ouple of Italian Moms who were great cooks. I was blessed with wonderful breads, beef roasts, stews, pizza, and one of my all time favorites, pigs, and the blankets. They would take full sized hot dogs of good quality, and completely encase them in a yeast bread dough, let them rise, and bake then to a perfect golden brown. The yeasty covering pairs pefectly with a skinless, high quality hot dog far better than does a hot dog bun. Plus, you get to squite your favorite condiments inside, oned you bite off one end. Seve with a rich chocolate milk and yu have put your child, or yourself into culinatyn nevana. Think of this with a good kielbasas, or bratwurst, or even a thoringer, or French spicey sausage that I can't remember the name of (Emirill Lagasse favorite).

I nade these for a pot luck at church. I have made them smoked turkeys that they raved about, rich lasagna, roast pork tenderloin, and other such really good foods. To this day, the offering that is most often asked for is thte pigs in the blankets, made with good, all beef hot dogs.

If you haven't made this version of the classic, youhave to give it a try. Make a loafs worth of yeast bread dough, and roll to /18th inch thck rectangle. Place hot dogs end to end on one side and roll until the end meets the dough sheet, cut and pinch the edges together. Pinch the edges to seal. Repeat until you have as many as you want. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and let rise for 40 minutes to an hour. Bake at 350' F. until golden brown. Serve with your favorite condiments and some good steak fries, and of course a really good side salad.

You could make these with little smokies if you so desire. Just use real, yeasty bread dough.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've always loved pigs in a blanket.. :yum:

In a Mexican food FB blog I follow, there was a discussion about "Mexican Hot Dogs".. Cheese, onions or whatever on a tortilla, place the hot dog and roll it up.. Fry and serve with mustard, salsa or what you like to dip the hot dog into..

Quick, fun and, to me, delicious..

Ross

Back in my High School days Mom always kept Velveeta and sliced meats along with biscuits and crescent rolls. I'd cut a 1/2" thick slice of the cheese and then cut across that to make 1/2" straws to roll the sliced ham around. Then
rolled this up in the crescent rolls. I often applied some French's mustard in the process.

But I like Pigs in a Blanked too when I have some good quality hot dogs to make them with.

RE. spicy French sausage. Emeril´s favourite is Andouille! Never tried it, but the name got stuck in my head.
Over in the UK, there´s a ubiquitous snack called a "Sausage Roll". Basically, a pig in a blanket, but with the ends open, rather than sealed. I buy packets of ready-made puff pastry (yeah, when I´m really slumming it!) and a pound or two of local sausages. I remove the meat from the casing, blitz together with a cupful of breadcrumbs, some fresh herbs (parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary), then make the little piggies and bake them. Any extras can happily be frozen for future use.

There are at least three types of pigs in a blanket that I know about. Do you mean Polish cabbage rolls commonly called Galumpkis? Do you mean Vienna sausages rolled up in Pillsbury crescent roll dough and baked in the oven? Or do you mean breakfast sausages rolled up in a pancake? Please be specific.

0c92cb8926d7790daca7541a628c3f14.jpg
91fb9aaabac2dc4cc8b21e3a93c01680.jpg
z7hf6dymr5da1ubrgawn

Last edited:
Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me! Just kidding;). For me, there is one kind only: full size, high quality hot dogs, or kielbasa, with fresh, yeasty bread dough encasing it, and cooked until the blanket is golden brow, with butter melted in to.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For something to be called a "pig in a blanket", I reckon it´s got to be 100% porky :pig::pig:- I´ll buy the wieners in pastry, and even wieners in a pancake (although that sounds a bit gross to me!), but Polish/ East European galumpkis - no. Beef and pork and other stuff; so not really a sausage.

For something to be called a "pig in a blanket", I reckon it´s got to be 100% porky :pig::pig:- I´ll buy the wieners in pastry, and even wieners in a pancake (although that sounds a bit gross to me!), but Polish/ East European galumpkis - no. Beef and pork and other stuff; so not really a sausage.
Since you're an Englishman living in Venezuela, you might not be familiar with our American breakfast sausage. It's made with ground pork and seasonings like dried sage and black pepper. It's common to serve it at a (usually) weekend breakfast with pancakes or an egg dish, so rolling them up in pancakes wouldn't be a reach for us.

Thanks, GG - I´ll have to give them a try next time I visit my son in Cinci!
And Bitser - sausage rolls are big in the UK too, available in almost any bakery, kiosk, train station, etc. I´ve heard ( but never seen!) that there´s a big commercial bakery called Gregg´s which actually makes a Vegan sausage roll (if that´s not a contradiction in terms!).

. . .there´s a big commercial bakery called Gregg´s which actually makes a Vegan sausage roll (if that´s not a contradiction in terms!).

Why not? In the last couple years, vegan 'sausage' has showed up in the market. Now, there's a whole case for veg burger, 'chicken' strips, Italian sausage, crumbles, etc.

ZVOh4KS.jpg

My wife is trying to go plant-based, so I'm learning to cook that way.

We tried some vegan hot dogs recently. They may have been the freebie of the week. They were so awful, we threw them out. There might be good ones out there, but I'm not spending money to find out.

Just tried grilling Impossible Burger. It was quite good. Had that dense, chewy texture one associates with ground beef. We quit eating beef a few years ago, for both environmental and political reasons. Since my wife decided to go plant-based, I've tried substitutes for ground beef, pork sausage, chicken, etc. Most are not bad and allow us to enjoy the sort of food to which we're accustomed.

Kt1HajA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom