Bone-in or Boneless Beef Short ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gumboman

Assistant Cook
Over the years I've made beef short ribs and always used the bone-in ribs. I wonder if there's that much different if I were to use boneless ribs? The recipe I've used braised the ribs in Cabernet Sauvignon and the ribs are served over polenta. Interested in what others are using.

Thanks!

I've never done short ribs either with or with our bone, but I'm definetely interested in what people have to say.

Also would love to see your recipe, Gumboman! Now that I have more to cook for, it just might come up on my list.

For slow cooked dishes, I recommend bone-in.
I agree, even though I have never cooked short ribs. When something is cooked slowly, the flavour from the bones has a chance to get into the liquid. It makes the sauce taste better.

The bone is like a good soup bone. It has good marrow in it. The meat, when slowly braised is like a well flavored, super tender pot roast. The connective tissue, and any gristle melts during the slow braise, adding both nutrition, and texture to the broth, and flavor. Keep the flavors simple, salt. pepper, onion, garlic, maybe a little MDS, and red wine, if you enjoy wine. When the ribs are done, the meat will fall off of the bone. The broth can be served directly, saved for soups, or made into sauces, and gravies.. I like my short ribs with a side of fragrant rice, or smashed spuds, savory bread dressing, and maybe a chilled, and juicy shredded carrot salad, with raisins, pineapple, and walnuts.

'i tried purchasing short ribs yesterday, from our local Albertsons'/ They delivered baby back ribs instead. I was really hungry for short ribs.:ermm:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If you have a dog, bone-in.

YnDqYqS.jpg

Last edited:
Bone-in or Boneless?

Thanks a bunch to all the great responses to my question about short ribs. It appears that bone-in is the way to go. I've had mixed results in the past with the ribs I've used and I suspect it may be the 'quality' of the ribs I've used. I've always used the ones from my local supermarket and after braising for a few hours, they are indeed done and fall-off-the-bone. What I didn't like was the rubbery part of the ribs which I suppose I should just cut away. Might it be worthwhile to seek out some other ribs, say from a butcher or Whole Foods?

The recipe I have been using is from an old Bon Appetit and we love the flavors it creates

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/c...gorgonzola-polenta-and-mixed-herb-gremolata-2

The ribs have to braise low and slow, to a final temp of 212' F. to dissolve the rubbery part. Or, you can pressure cook them for an hour to get the texture you're looking for. Also, for added flavor, pan sear the ribs until nicely browned, with S & P of course.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom