Boneless Chuck Roast Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
Hubby bought about a 3lb chuck roast the other night & I need some suggestions! I have always cooked my roasts in the crock pot but I want to do something diffrent this time. I'm not in any big hurry to cook it because it's in the freezer right now. Anyway, can this type of roast be cooked in the oven with good results? If so, how do I do it? Any & all suggestions are welcome & appriciated! :D

We sometimes do ours in a roasting bag with veggies.

Marinated Chuck Roast
This roast isn't braised, but it's a tasty way to cook a less tender cut of beef.
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup red wine (may substitute apple juice or grape juice)
3 to 4-pound chuck roast or top round
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except chuck roast. Place the roast in a non-reactive pan or large sealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the roast and cover or seal. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours, turning occasionally. Place meat on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, at 325° for about 3 hours, or until tender. Baste occasionally with marinade.
Serves 6 to 8.

Barbecued Chuck Roast

3 to 4 pound chuck roast, 2-1/2 to 3 inches thick
3 cloves garlic, minced, crushed or put through a press
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup sherry (just regular, dry sherry - not "cooking" sherry)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
freshly ground black pepper (several healthy grinds)
2 tablespoons tomato catsup
Mix all marinade ingredients except the catsup. Pour over the roast (the one-gallon plastic zip-lock freezer bags are perfect for this) and marinate for at least 24 hours.
When your grill is ready, remove the roast from the marinade (reserve the marinade!) and put it on the grill, 4 to 5 inches from medium coals. Put the cover on the grill. Mix the catsup into the marinade, and baste 4 or 5 times during grilling. It will take about 1 hour and 15 minutes for the roast to reach 160 degrees (medium). An instant-read meat thermometer is a handy thing to have for this. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Sweet and Sour Pot Roast

This sweet and sour pot roast is flavored with onions, vinegar, brown sugar, allspice, and other seasonings.

INGREDIENTS:

1 beef pot roast, about 4 pounds
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, sliced
salt and pepper
2/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/8 teaspoon allspice
flour

PREPARATION:

In a Dutch oven, brown roast slowly in hot oil over medium low heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes longer, until onion is tender. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Add vinegar, water, sugar, and allspice. Cover and simmer for about 4 hours, or until tender. Remove meat and thicken gravy with 2 tablespoons of flour mixed with

Country Pot Roast with Gravy

A country pot roast with vegetables and sour cream gravy.

INGREDIENTS:

3- to 4-pound beef pot roast
flour
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 beef bouillon cube or base
1/2 cup hot water
12 to 18 small white onions, peeled
4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 pound carrots, peeled and quartered
Sour cream gravy:
1 1/3 cups drippings
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup sour cream, room temperature

PREPARATION:

Coat both sides of pot roast with flour. In a Dutch oven or large deep baking dish, melt butter; brown meat slowly on both sides. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water; pour over meat. Cover and place in a preheated 350° oven; cook 1 1/2 hours. Add onions and carrots; cook 15 minutes. Add potatoes; sprinkle with a little more salt. Cook about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables to a warm platter; keep warm.
Prepare sour cream gravy:
Pour drippings from pot roast into saucepan. Blend together flour and water. Heat drippings to boiling; gradually stir in flour and water mixture and cook, stirring constantly until gravy is thickened. Cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and slowly stir in sour cream. Heat through, but do not boil.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

crewsk, this is my sisters recipe and it is wonderful and simple. I do not cook it any longer as a whole roast is too much for just me. But I will to your house for it, and bring the wine.

Use one envelope of Liptons Onion Soup, mix with about 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, a few drops of Kitchen Boquet (optional) and pour over roast covered in a 300 degree oven. Check every 30 minutes and let the liquid almost dry up, then add more water (or a little wine) and contine for about 4 or so hours. Last hour or so add whatever vegetables you want. This drying out and adding fluid really carmelizes the sauce and it is wonderful. IF you want more sauce, use two packets and 1 cup or so of water. She also would occasionally use the onion soup and a can of cream of mushroom mixed together. That was good too.

Back
Top Bottom