Bottom Round Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
Do you usually brown your roast first before roasting it? The directions on the meat package say to simply put it in a covered roasting pan, bake at 325 degrees, 30 minutes per pound. It doesnt say anything about browing it first, which I ususally do. What would you do, brown it first or just throw it in the oven?

I would brown a roast first, if I wasn't planning on basting it, such as a pot roast. However, if I was going to baste it, or just do a roast prime rib, then no, I wouldn't brown it.

I would think a bottom round would be best as a pot roast, so I would sear it first, then braise in oven or on top of the stove.
Or put it in the crock pot with seasonings and liquid of your choice. A packet of dry onion soup mix and a can of cream mushroom soup is one of my favorites, as it makes it's own gravy. For a different flavor try packet of Italian dressing mix and a can of beer...makes wonderful sandwiches.

I agree that bottom round is not best when heated with dry heat, roasted, but is much better when cooked as a pot roast.

Often use if for a sauerbraten.

I would make it as a pot roast and I WOULD brown it first before braising.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom