Braised Parmesan Beef & Italian Wild Mushroom Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I found this recipe the other day when I was trying decide what to do with some steak I'd had in the freezer for a while. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good. What kind of wine should I use?

Braised Parmesan Beef & Italian Wild Mushroom Sauce
Makes 4 servings.

Ingredients: 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck steaks, cut 1 inch thick
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 cups (8 ounces) sliced mixed wild mushrooms such as crimini, shiitake, oyster
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
1 jar (26 ounces) fire roasted tomato and garlic sauce or any prepared spaghetti sauce
1 package (12 ounces) fresh fettuccine, cooked
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions:
Season steaks with salt and pepper. Press 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese evenly onto steaks. Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; brown evenly. Remove.
Spray same pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add wine; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in sauce. Return steaks to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
Carve steaks into slices. Serve beef and 2 cups sauce over pasta; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Pass remaining sauce.

Nutrition information per serving: 829 calories; 45 g protein; 82 g carbohydrate; 28 g fat; 1,544 mg sodium; 186 mg cholesterol; 27.8 mg niacin; 1.1 mg vitamin B6; 2.8 mcg vitamin B12; 8.6 mg iron; 12.1 mg zinc.

Yes, Alix, I do have some Merlot on hand.
Question...how long can you keep opened wine in the fridge and still be able to cook with it? I don't care much for red wine, so when I open a bottle, the rest just sits there.

I usually put a little piece of plastic wrap over the top of mine, or recork it and use it indefinitely. I throw it in pasta sauces, coq au vin, etc. I would have to say a LONG time. As long as you are cooking with it and not drinking it you can likely keep it as long as you like. I've been known to have it in there for months at a stretch.

I just printed this out. It sounds delishous! WONDERFUL!! Tastey!! Thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom