Braising beef question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I am trying to braise lean beef shoulder ribs.

I would like to do stove top as it is hot here in Tx. all ready.

I've done in the slow cooker before, but though the meat is fall apart tender, even with all the liquid, the beef seems very dry.

Will stove top work with tender and not dryed out for like 2 hrs, gentle simmer?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I'm confused about which cut of meat you have. The shoulder doesn't have ribs, and neither are lean. Can you check the package and tell us exactly what you have?

I am trying to braise lean beef shoulder ribs.

I would like to do stove top as it is hot here in Tx. all ready.

I've done in the slow cooker before, but though the meat is fall apart tender, even with all the liquid, the beef seems very dry.

Will stove top work with tender and not dryed out for like 2 hrs, gentle simmer?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

A lean cut will almost always come out drier than a cut with more fat. I love braised short ribs, which are fatty even when well trimmed. I've never braised a really lean cut, so I don't have an absolute answer for you.

I'm confused about which cut of meat you have. The shoulder doesn't have ribs, and neither are lean. Can you check the package and tell us exactly what you have?

I looked them up and I got pictures of short ribs which are not lean at all. They are perfect for braising though!:yum:

Virtually every recipe I've seen and the only way I've done short ribs, is with some sort of a red wine braising liquid. Mirapoix, red wine, beef stock, thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper. You get some incredible flavor from these ingredients. You'll think that you are eating in a 5 star restaurant. Try this link from Epicurious.com. (the same recipe is on Bon Appetit too)

I know that there are recipes for Korean short ribs, but I rarely cook anything Asian, so I'll have to defer to others for that.

Last edited:
Texas Style Beef Ribs, 2.97 lb.! small print says Boneless shoulder value pack.

apaerently, from a post I did last year, this is sort of the lean tail end of a beef chuck with no bone, but is cut into thick strips to look like a rib.

These are on sale every summer for Grilling season, and at that price, worth a try.

I have grilled them, and quite rare are OK. but even medium are tough.

The slow cooker works, and I use it in my garage, to not heat up the house, as it is hot here now. The meat is fall apart tender, but dry, even though it's in liquid when done. note, You can shread this into pulled beef, with a sauce it makes good pulled beef sands, or taco filling.

I was thinking, a stovetop braise might work as the slow cooker time is so long, a short 2 hr. braise might not dry the meat so much?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Texas Style Beef Ribs, 2.97 lb.! small print says Boneless shoulder value pack.

apaerently, from a post I did last year, this is sort of the lean tail end of a beef chuck with no bone, but is cut into thick strips to look like a rib.

These are on sale every summer for Grilling season, and at that price, worth a try.

I have grilled them, and quite rare are OK. but even medium are tough.

The slow cooker works, and I use it in my garage, to not heat up the house, as it is hot here now. The meat is fall apart tender, but dry, even though it's in liquid when done. note, You can shread this into pulled beef, with a sauce it makes good pulled beef sands, or taco filling.

I was thinking, a stovetop braise might work as the slow cooker time is so long, a short 2 hr. braise might not dry the meat so much?

I agree with Aunt Bea. You won't gain a thing by braising. Lean is lean, and when cooked beyond medium rare is going to dry out. Cooking in liquid doesn't add moisture, only helps to retain what is in the meat naturally. When overcooked, it will still be dry. Since you say that this cut is only available during the grilling season, it would seem that is the intended cooking method.

Back
Top Bottom