Braising Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flycast

Assistant Cook
I have been trying recipies for brasing brisket to make barbacoa. The recipies all entail cutting the briskit up browning it in a skillit, putting it in a dutch oven with just enough water to cover the beef up, adding cut up onion and pepper and baking at 300 degrees for 2 - 3 hours.

Every time I have tried this the beef comes out tender but just tasts like boiled beef. It never seems to be spicy or anything like the brabacoa one would have in a mexican restraunt. Any ideas on what I need to change to make this brisket spicy and tastier?

What kind of peppers are you using? Are you sauteing the onions and peppers as well?

Here's a spice blend I use for most of my Mexican cooking.

Mexican Seasoning Mix

¼ c chili powder
¼ c cumin
¼ c ground coriander
¼ c granulated garlic
1/8 c ground black pepper
1/8 c red pepper flakes
-or- ground chipotle peppers
1 T salt

Blend together and store in an airtight container.

barbacoa is BBQ, therefore it needs smoke.

SOUTH TEXAS STYLE BEEF BARBACOA

1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 ½ teaspoons chile powder
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 ½ - 3 ½ pound bone-in chuck roast

Just before cooking, mix together the first five ingredients and rub them into all sides of the meat.
Place some soaked wood chips near the heating element of a water smoker (according to the manufacturers instructions). Pour 3 quarts boiling water into the water pan, and smoke the beef for 4 hours at between 225 and 275 degrees. Check the smoker after 2 hours and add additional boiling water to the pan, if necessary. When done, the internal temperature of the beef should be 160 - 170 degrees. Place the beef in a foil baking pan, seal it with heavy duty aluminum foil, and place it in an oven preheated to 325 degrees. Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Remove the package from the oven, and place it in a large, paper, grocery bag. Fold the bag tightly to seal it and leave it for 45 minutes. (If your foil pan is too large for one bag, use two, overlapping them to completely cover the pan). Remove the meat from the roasting pan. It will literally fall off the bone! Chop and shred the meat into small pieces. Serve with guacamole, salsa, and hot tortillas.

COCHINITA PIBIL Yucatan Style Barbecued Pork

Please note that achiote paste, available at Hispanic markets and some supermarkets may be substituted for the following recado. Also, the banana leaves may be omitted, if desired.

The recado or rub:
1 tablespoon annato seeds (available at Hispanic markets)
½ teaspoon whole cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon powdered allspice
3/4 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 ½ teaspoons ancho chile powder
4 cloves garlic, minced and mashed to a paste
2 tablespoons orange juice
½ tablespoon lime juice

Grind the annato seeds and cumin to a powder in a spice or coffee grinder, add the oregano, allspice, cinnamon, salt, coriander and chile powder and grind until the spices are thoroughly mixed. Place the powder in a small bowl, mix in the garlic, orange juice and lime juice. You want a smooth paste that spreads easily. If the recado seems dry add a little more juice.

The pork:

2 ½ - 3 pound, one-half Boston butt roast
The recado
Banana leaves to wrap the pork (optional)
Cotton string to tie the bundle (Do not use nylon cord as it may melt, creating unpleasant fumes and possibly causing burns).
Rub the recado into the pork and put it in the refrigerator overnight. If you are using banana leaves, roll them up, fold them in half, and steam them for 20 - 30 minutes to make them pliable. When the leaves have cooled, place them, shiny side up, on a work surface. Place the pork on the leaves, wrap into a tight bundle and tie with the string.
Place some soaked wood chips near the heating element of a water smoker (according to the manufacturers instructions), pour 3 quarts boiling water into the water pan, and smoke the pork for 4 hours at between 225 and 275 degrees. Check the smoker after 2 hours and add additional boiling water to the pan, if necessary. When done, the internal temperature of the pork should be 160 - 170 degrees. Place the pork in a foil baking pan, seal it with heavy duty aluminum foil, and place it in an oven preheated to 325 degrees. Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Remove the package from the oven, and place it in a large, paper, grocery bag. Fold the bag tightly to seal it and leave it for 45 minutes. (If your foil pan is too large for one bag, use two, overlapping them to completely cover the pan). Remove the pork from the roasting pan, and unwrap the banana leaves or foil. The meat will literally fall off the bone! Chop and shred the pork into small pieces. Serve with guacamole, salsa and hot tortillas.

Thanks Rainee. I'm going to scoot this over to the Beef, Pork, Lamb... forum.

Thanks Rainee, I'm going to try the smoking recipe someday soon, my mouth is watering now! It does look like a lot of work so...

Is there a recipe that can be accomplished with the barising (stewing) method that would be somewhat spicy.

Is the reason that my barbacoa is not coming out spicy because I am not using enough spices or is there some other principal of cooking involved there? I currently have tender, just not spicy.

Back
Top Bottom