Braising Eye Round - Can I Add Jalapenos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hey guys, it's been a while..i had a quick question

I'm going to be braising some eye round roast, and im gonna big chunks of carrots, onions, and red bellpepper.

I want to add some whole Jalapenos to this.

I've never braised jalapenos with my meat.

How will they hold up?

Will it ruin them or will it be OK?

I'm braising the meat in a dutch oven in a mixture of Beef Broth and Beer.

Cheers

Welcome back Mylegsbig! Long time no see. I would think you could braise them. I would probably split them though so the flavor gets into the dish.

Good idea GB.

Gonna give it a run.

These Steaks are 2lbs each.

I was thinking of braising them @ 275 for 3 hours.

What say you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds good...good to see ya back! yes the heat and flavor of Jalapenos holds up, the pepper will soften as any cooked pepper does.

Mylegsbig said:
I'm going to be braising some eye round roast, and im gonna big chunks of carrots, onions, and red bellpepper. I want to add some whole Jalapenos to this. I've never braised jalapenos with my meat. How will they hold up? Will it ruin them or will it be OK?

As for the heat factor - capsaicin is not volatile so it does not "evaporate" with prolonged cooking. The jalapeños will undergo the same changes as the bell peppers in your recipe ... they will soften and if cooked long enough the texture will begin to break down. Leaving them whole will contribute less heat to the dish than if cut/chopped. If placed above the liquid level - they will just be steamed and contribute even less heat than if placed in the braising liquid.

Back
Top Bottom