Burger Preference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
so i have a friend that loves to order HUGE burgers - the bigger the patty, the better. he often gets a few toppings on it (usually bacon and cheddar), but for him the burger is the main attraction.

for me, i prefer more of a medium sized burger, but with lots of toppings (cheese, tomatoes, bacon, pepper, olives, ham, lettuce, hot sauce, ketchup, etc)...i dont like the flavor of the meat (or sometimes lack of flavor, depending on where you go) to overpower the toppings....to me, the toppings are just as good as the burger itself, sometimes better

btw, when i make burgers at home, i THOROUGHLY season the meat

what does everyone else prefer?

I am like your friend. It is a burger first so I want to taste the burger. If you have to hide the taste of the meat with toppings then you are not eating a good burger to begin with and should maybe look for something else to eat. A burger should have a great meaty taste and should be complimented with toppings, but never overpowered by toppings IMO.

I like it when it all comes together just right, and everyone is playing together in my mouth! The meat, toppings and condiments all blend into that subliminal BURGER taste... ahhhh

If I want MEAT, gimme a steak.
If I want veggies, gimme a salad.

And I should NEED a napkin, too, LOL

I really don't care for burgers, a texture thing with me, so Iif there is nothing else to choose from prefer a very thing almost burnt burger, for me the tomatoe, cheese,lettuce, onion, pickles are the THING:-p
kadesma

I like plenty of meat on my burger. 1/3 lb is about right for me, but my husband likes 1/2 lb patties. He's kind of like your friend--meat, cheese, perhaps a little onion and mayo sometimes. I like toppings like lettuce, tomatoe, onion, cheese, but I do not like olives, ham, or hot sauce on my burger. My pet peeve is for the bun to be too big for the meat. :ermm: I'd rather the meat be bigger than the bun :-p.

so i have a friend that loves to order HUGE burgers...

i prefer more of a medium sized burger, but with lots of toppings (cheese, tomatoes, bacon, pepper, olives, ham, lettuce, hot sauce, ketchup, etc)....

I like to have my cake and eat it too. I like a big burger and lots of toppings. I cook a half pound burger and add mayo, lettuce, tomato and pickles. Sometimes I add bacon. I never add cheese.

I llike a thick burger, rare. between 1/3 and 1/2 pound. grilled onions and/or sauteed mushrooms are great toppings for me. on rare occasions, I will put some good blue cheese on top. Otherwise, no cheese. I like the bun toasted. I smear Dijon mustard on the bun. never ketchup.

imho, lettuce and tomato belong in a salad alongside the burger, not ON it.

Fresh Ground Chuck... Grilled...Toasted Bun...A little mayo, mustard...NEVER Ketchup....A Nice slice of Home Grown Tomato...Thin Slice of Vidalia Onion..Or grilled onions...Dill slices...Lettuce optional...Rarely Cheese...Pepper Jack if I choose the cheese option....The meat is the "Star" of the show...Toppings play a supporting role.....One Wash cloth required!!!......A paper napkin just want cut it.......

I'm with Andy, I like it all to come together perfectly. Most of the time I do big patties (around 1/2# or more), but I put them on big kaiser or hard rolls and load them in toppings:) DW and I found a new way for condiments through watching the Food Network. On the bottom of the bun put on mayo, then yellow mustard, then pyramid your onions ring by ring, then ketchup, then lettuce, then burger and mash it together. The pyramid stacking of the onions actually gives a good texture, I was surprised at the amount of flavor change there was just by doing that.

Burgers!!

I like a medium burger (1/3 lb.) on a small bun, not too much bread. I like it cooked med/well with either mustard or 1000 island, sharp cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes (only if they're fresh) and extra EXTRA pickles!!! YUM!!! :pig:

I season my meat with a paste of olive oil, kosher salt, and garlic. Then I add a fair amount of horseradish and Worcestershire. I want the burger thick so I can cook them rare. The above ingredients enhance the beef flavor. The horseradish doesn't really taste anything like horseradish after it's cooked - just has a great flavor. After that I simply want to melt a bit of provolone on it. When I put the burgers on the serving plate there's usually some juice that collects on the bottom. I like to dip the inside of my bun in it - THAT'S where all the flavor is!!!!! Lettuce and tomato are fine as I like the crunch of the lettuce and the flavor of the tomato. Nothing else is needed. If there's no lettuce and tomato that's fine too. It's about the meat in my book.

How could I forget the red onion!!!!

Last edited:
1/3lb of well seasoned meat, flattened out enough to cover sliced bread, topped with cheddar and brown mustard. Cooked at least medium-well (I don't feel comfortable cooking the ground beef I get to anything less).

We make 6 oz burgers. The taste of the meat is paramount. With cheeseburgers or bacon cheeseburgers we top with raw onion, perhaps some pickle slices and catsup. With plain burgers we top with raw onion, horseradish & mayo, and (if in season) sliced tomato. Either which way on a toased sesame bun.

I like a good balance. I love cheese, onions, dill pickle, tomato, Miracle Whip, mustard, and a little ketchup on a burger, but I want the meat to be the main flavor. If the burgers are done on the grill, I don't necessarily have to have cheese. I would put guacamole on all my burgers if I could afford it (the only two ingredients we have right now, from what I listed, are mustard and ketchup, but I can dream! lol). I had a burger at a place in Riverside, California that had green olives in the burger and thought it was really good, although I probably wouldn't want it like that every time. My favorite meat for the burger is buffalo, but good quality ground beef is good too. I love sesame seed buns or onion rolls for the bread.

:)Barbara

not a big fan of beef, just so the pattie is not overcooked. don't do many at home cause cooking just for me. when i want a fast food burger i go to carls jr. and get the smaller version of the western bacon cheese burger. it has lettuce, tomato, mostly mayo . on it. just greasy enough to be good but not to kill me. lol

I like my 1/4 lb. burger cooked just until the pink is gone...skillet or grill, seasoned only with S&P, turned only once, never mashed while cooking and preferably on a whole wheat bun. For condiments, I want S&P, a slice of Velveeta, sweet pickle relish and plain yellow mustard. If no Velveeta is available, any cheese will do.

A slice of juicy, garden-ripened beefsteak tomato makes it heaven.

In-n-Out's double-double with grilled onions, add pickles, is about the perfect burger, IMHO. Hey, if it was good enough for Julia Child, it's good enough for me. :)

the burger experience for me is a multi item deal ... good ground beef, well seasoned , cooked med, with bacon, lettuce, tomato, dill pickle, sharp cheese of some type, mayo and spicy mustard. I want a quality bun that will stand up to this and not fall apart but be able to be chewed without everything falling out.

Burger - big and juicy - no bun but slathered in blue cheese dressing with a side salad and potatoes of some kind, ideally crispy, freshly fried wedge-type chips. Now I'm hungry...

Like them medium with mayo, tomatoes, pickles, onion, lettuce
sometime instead of lettuce some avacado.

I also like to take 2 thin pattys put blue cheese in the middle then seal them up good and fry or grill. blue cheese melts yumm yum

or even put salsa in the middle or mushrooms -- use your imagination

Back
Top Bottom