Burgers griddle fried with butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanwingen

Cook
I was at this greasy spoon diner thats been around since 1924. A real nice place actually. They boast they have the "best burgers around." So, I watched them make a burger.

The patties are fresh and made by hand.
They squirt this yellow tinted luquid on the griddle and fry the burger
They also put the buns on the griddle soaking the fat and yellow luquid

Okay, so heres my thoughts. Please let me know if you agree:

1- The burgers were tasty and juicy. I am going to assume they are a 70/30 blend? I noticed the meat was reaL RED in color when they took it out of the fridge. But it was also in a plastic baggy.

2- The yellow luquid is either BUTTER or LARD (Beef Talow). WHAT DO YOU THINK IT IS? IF BUTTER, WHAT KIND? IS THERE A SPECIAL LUQUID GRIDDLE BUTTER?

3- This appears to be the way burgers were made in the 40's and 50's. Is this true?

I don't have an answer for you, but could you ask the cook at that diner what the yellow stuff is? Hopefully someone will be able to answer your questions soon.

:) Barbara

Burgers were always cooed ona griddle in the old days. I don't think I've seen a cook use butter to cook burgers. They usually just toss them onto a hot griddle. There is always some residualk fat on the griddle and the fat in the beef is there.

The liquid is probably a commercial cooking oil. It could be butter. If it is, it's just plain old butter kept in a warm location.

I actually have a recipe for "ButterBurgers"!

Butterburgers

Source: The Canadiana Cookbook/Mme Jehane Benoit/1970

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 egg
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons butter melted
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon MSG
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon green onions chopped
5 tablespoons butter melted

Instructions: In a bowl mix the cottage cheese, egg, seasonings and green onion. Add the 3 tablespoons melted butter. Beat to mix. Add the ground beef and mix well. Make into 4 patties.

Melt the 5 tablespoons butter in a hot frying pan. Cook the "burgers" to your liking, turning only once.

Cut 4 hamburger buns in half. Dip cut sides into pan drippings and place under broiler until lightly toasted.

Place meat between bun halves and garnish with pickle fans. These have a good beefy flavor enhanced by the goodness of butter.

Andy M. said:
Burgers were always cooed ona griddle in the old days. I don't think I've seen a cook use butter to cook burgers. They usually just toss them onto a hot griddle. There is always some residualk fat on the griddle and the fat in the beef is there.

The liquid is probably a commercial cooking oil. It could be butter. If it is, it's just plain old butter kept in a warm location.

Hmmm Andy was cooed ona griddle today I think :LOL: with some residualk fat.:chef:

QSis said:
Could be clarified butter....
somehow that doesn't sound likely in a burger joint... I'm guessing they used some ersatz butter like that margarine that comes in a squeeze bottle, and I'm wondering why.

Yes, burgers used to just about always be made on a flattop grill, and those are so hot and usually so greasy from all the food that gets cooked on it all day that, along with the fat that's in the burger itself, I can't imagine any need for more!

Agree
cholesterol.jpg

Cholesterol molecule

I don't think it is clarified butter either. Probably just good ole oleomargarine.

vanwingen said:
... 1- The burgers were tasty and juicy. I am going to assume they are a 70/30 blend? I noticed the meat was reaL RED in color when they took it out of the fridge...
The mystery oil (my guess is margarine) is probably what made the burgers so juicy, although 70/30 certainly would not yield a dry burger.

The red color is more of a freshness indicator because, if I am not mistaken, the colorization is a result of some chemical, either gaseous or liquid, applied at the meat packing facility. The chemical is not a dye per se, but rather its application keeps the meat's natural color.

Tom

The red color is the natural color, I think. If you have a package of hamburger, the surface may turn a brown color but when you "break" it, the meat below that will be quite red. I agree with Tom that there is a gas (pretty sure it would have to be inert, probably nitrogen) that can be injected into packages prior to sealing, particularly the new packaging coming directly to the stores in the plastic containers, that makes it retain the rosy color of the meat. I don't believe it ever goes beneath the surface.

Back
Top Bottom