Chuck Eye Steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chuck eye is a pretty tough steak to grill and eat. They are better suited to a slow, moist cooking method such as braising.

Is it like a delmonico steak? I was thinking chuck eye's were more like a rib eye in a sense, just not as neat looking and more fatty tissue to deal with. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong cut of steak?

Actually Chuck Eye steaks are fairly tender. Like sattie said, kind of like a ribeye, but not as neat (they can look rather sloppy and disheveled) and with a bit more fat. They are fairly small, typically roundish in shape and about 4 - 5 inches in diameter.

This cut should not be confused with a Chuck steak which is tough.

Depending on where you go, Chuck Eyes are hard to find. But if you can find that cut, they are fairly inexpensive, fairly tender (not as tender as a ribeye, but very close) and flavorful. My butcher says the Chuck Eye steak comes from the eye portion of the Chuck Eye roast. It’s the most tender part of that roast, and as such, not many markets or butchers will cut it away and sell it individually.

I love this cut of meat. I grill them over med-high charcoals for 4 minutes a side for a medium rare steak. You can also pan fry/grill them. Basically, any way you cook a ribeye is how you cook a Chuck Eye.

Last edited:
Thanks keltin... that was what I was thinking a chuch-eye was. I use to always look for them when I went shopping because they are such a nice bargain for a tenden, flavorful cut of meat apart from the fatty tissue.

I have grilled and pan fried these puppies and they are wonderful either way!

I had these for dinner last night. Salt, pepper,

rubbed with a clove of garlic and grilled over charcoal. Very tender and I think thay have just about the best flavor of any steak. Certainly the best flavor of any affordable steak.

keltin said:
You can also pan fry/grill them. Basically, any way you cook a ribeye is how you cook a Chuck Eye.

Exactly!! Hot & Fast, not low and slow is the way to go!! They can be hard to find in some market areas. When you do find them, obviously look for the most marbling to make you selection and....

Enjoy!

I was assuming the chuck eye was cut from the eye round roast. My mistake. I see it's a different cut.

I agree they should be cooked quickly over high heat.

Does this cut have another name? Never heard of chuck eye, so it is either not available here or has a different name (I think)

mitmondol said:
Does this cut have another name? Never heard of chuck eye, so it is either not available here or has a different name (I think)

I've have never "seen" them called anything but a Chuck-Eye. I have heard of them refered to as Chuck Filet and Mock Tender. They are not an 'everyday" item in most meat markets especially in todays world where so many chain stores use pre-cut beef. In years past when retailers actually "cut' a lot of beef the Chuck-eye was cut from the primal chuck roast that comes from the shoulder/neck area of the animal. You may have to go to a specialty butcher and have them cut for you.

Enjoy!!

Yep, exactly what keltin said.
The little store in my little town sells them about 8 to a pack and says they are great for grilling, which they are. Pretty cheap cut and a nice small size if you are have two main courses, or for breakfast. Not a typical steak texture, they aren't as dense, but very tender and full of flavor.

In Texas I have seen them packaged as a 'Delmonico' cut... not sure why they call them that, but that is usually what I find. I try to buy them whenever I see them, as stated, such a cheap cut for the tenderness and flavor they yield.

mitmondol said:
chuck eye steak.jpg

Boneless Chuck Fillet Steak
Chuck-eye Center Cut Steak

From what I understand these steaks come from the end of the rib and the beginning of the chuck (shoulder). Only two or three can be cut from each side of beef.

ist2_478117_beef_chuck_roast.jpg

This is an image of the more familiar chuck roast. The blue outlines the chuck eye steak as it appears in the previous post. However, the only tender ones come from where the shoulder meets the rib cage.

I'd never heard of the chuck eye until my sister told me about it. I haven't seen any locally. We don't even find tri tip very ofteh, tho.

How about this for resurrecting an old thread? :) I found it when doing a google search for chuck eye steaks.

I must admit to being quite a fan of the chuck eye steak. Maybe it's just the guy at our local market that cuts them just right for us, but I grilled some tonight, and they turned out wonderfully.

I love this cut. To me it has a better flavor than a ribeye and a better texture too.

How about this for resurrecting an old thread? :) I found it when doing a google search for chuck eye steaks.

I must admit to being quite a fan of the chuck eye steak. Maybe it's just the guy at our local market that cuts them just right for us, but I grilled some tonight, and they turned out wonderfully.

I love this cut. To me it has a better flavor than a ribeye and a better texture too.
i love chuck steak of any cut grilled or broiled. and it's great ground beef for burgers.

Back
Top Bottom