Chuck vs Pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Is there a difference between chuck roast and pot roast? Are they different cuts, or maybe you cook them differently or in different recipes? I know chuck roast is also called English roast, is "pot" a geneneric or interchangeable term?

Often you'll see them referred to as a "Cross Rib Chuck Pot Roast" at my store. I figured they were covering all the bases.

In my head pot roast is covered, or in a crock pot with liquid, etc,
and
Chuck is roasted in a 350 oven for 2 hours, without the larger amount of liquid.

But you can slow-cook a chuck, and you can roast a potroast.

hmmmmm.

You know, as I'm thinking about this..... pot roast sounds like a dinner, but chuck roast sounds like a cut of meat. I always see Yankee pot roast or some other kind of pot roast, but never anything chuck roast on a menu.

Pot roasting identifies a method of cooking - braising. Braising is a wet heat method as described above. It is misleading because it's called pot roast but it's not a roast, it's a braise. I guess pot braise doesn;t sound as good.

A chuck roast is one of several standard cuts that can be cooked as a pot roast. You will often see different cuts of meat labeled pot roast in the supermarket. They use bright orange stickers to do that where I shop. That is a suggested cooking method rather than a name for the cut of meat.

Cuts of meat appropriate for braising are generally tougher and contain a lot of connective tissue. Generally they are less expensive. They are also appropriate for dishes like chili and stew. If they are oven roasted, they will often be tough.

Hey thanks, Andy! I guess I wasn't too far off the mark then.
Where I shop I never see anything labeled pot roast, but I will often see recommended cooking methods that say braise.
I have a chuck roast in the slow cooker right now (been smelling it for three hours :)), so I guess I could say I'm having pot roast.

That's exactly right.

We are having a sale on chuck roasts and I'm going to stock up. I see pot roasts, Boeuf Bourguignon and chili coming up.

What is your sale Andy ? I buy nothing but chuck roast, well marbled.
Great roast and for so many different meals. - love em'.

Definitely chili season coming up!
Around here the chuck roasts are 3.99/lb and I can't remember the last time I saw them on sale in the grocery store. I think getting that front quarter was certainly worth it because what was put in my freezer came out to 4 bucks/lb. It was 2.35/lb hanging. It seems like beef has really gone up this year. I could swear chuck roasts were always on sale for 1.99/lb last year.....

Anyway, I've put meat other than hamburger in my chili before, usually using sirloin because I thought it was a better cut, but it always tasted dried out. I'll have to pay closer attention to the preferred cooking methods of the various cuts and try it with chuck this winter. Thanks

Andy explains things so nicely, doesn't he? I would make tha additional comment that a pot roast is a braised roast, tipically from the shoulder, with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and a few seasonings thrown in, like a stew, but without the built-in gravy. The roast and veggies are removed to seperate containers at serving time. The beauty of this cooking method is that the meat helps add rich flavor to the veggies that are cooked beside it. And all I can say about that is mmmmmmmm.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Andy explains things so nicely, doesn't he? I would make tha additional comment that a pot roast is a braised roast, tipically from the shoulder, with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and a few seasonings thrown in, like a stew, but without the built-in gravy. The roast and veggies are removed to seperate containers at serving time. The beauty of this cooking method is that the meat helps add rich flavor to the veggies that are cooked beside it. And all I can say about that is mmmmmmmm.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That's exactly what I said last night. mmmmmmmmm :)
That has to be one of the easiest meals to cook that always comes out perfect every time. I gotta find a use for all the juice generated though. Maybe a bowl of beef and barley soup the next day. Too late now, I threw half of it out and the other half went into the tupperware container for reheating.

you threw it out?????? :(

didn'tya make gravy?

even if you didn't, save the "juice" for a future gravy or soup in a container in the fridge. the added benefit is that the fat will rise and congeal so you can de-fat it before using it again.

it also freezes well for future use.

Yes. I should have saved it. Maybe made some mashed potatos today and tried to hone my gravy making "techinique". I say technique because me making gravy is as far away as you can get from skill :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom