Coating on Southern Fried Steak not sticking, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TWINMTNH

Assistant Cook
I have tried several recipes for Sourthern Fried Steak and I can never get the coating to stick well enough. Any help or hints?

Are you dipping the meat in egg before the breading/? IS your oil hot enough? :?: :?: :?:

Yes I am using eggs. one recipe has eggs and milk mixed the other was plain eggs. I wondered if it might be the oil, but I'm not sure that's why I need help figuring it out. Thanks for the thoughts.

I've used recipes that call for dipping the meat in water, rolling in flour and then dipping in beaten eggs and rolling in the bread mixture. A bit bready but works okay when deep frying! :D

TWINMTNH;
When frying meat you want to dip the meat FIRST in seasoned flour, then into an egg wash (I use 2 eggs with 1 tbsp. water) then into your bread crumbs, cornmeal, panko or whatever. Then put the breaded pieces on a rack to set the breading. Then fry it. See if that don't work!

Bubba is so right...you need to let the breading set up for a bit before frying or it will slide right off. I let mine sit for about 10 minutes before frying.

Coating Not sticking

I use a mixture of beaten egg and buttermilk (not authentic) in one bowl and a mixture of panko (Japanese style) bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese, well seasoned, in another bowl. Dip in egg mixture, then in crumbs, then back in egg mixture, then back in bread crumbs.

Cooking oil should be about 375 degrees F. and you should fry them in at least 1" of cooking oil and do not try to turn them until the bottom side is well browned. I use a pair of kitchen tongs to turn them rather than a spatula. But---if you are watching calories, I place the steaks on a greased cooking rack, place the rack in an oven pan and cook in a 450 degree oven for about 30 min. If you still have problems with the steaks sticking, try placing a few slices of bacon on the rack with your steaks on top of the bacon. A variation on this is rather than use the egg mixture to make the breading stick, try painting the steaks with a thin coating of dijon mustard and then breading them. Same method works well with pork chops and chicken breasts...just adjust the cooking times for the thickness of the meat.

ChuckD
8)

Back
Top Bottom