Cognac cream sauce - first try

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I watched Alton Brown last week make a cognac cream sauce for his steaks and said to myself "Eh, why not?" Now, I've never used cognac... I've never TASTED cognac, so I had no idea whether I'd even like it, much less a sauce made with it. SO, I went to the liquor store and bought... Yes, you guessed it... ONE airplane sized bottle of cognac. The guy at the counter was looking at me like I had two heads. I gave a one word explanation "Recipe." and left.

So, I got home and did a quick inventory. Alton recommended peppercorns in brine, drained and crushed - I had hard, dry peppercorns. Alton recommended heavy cream - I had half&half. This wasn't looking good.

Undaunted, I seared the steaks, put them in the oven to stay warm, and started my sauce. I deglazed the pan with some store bought beef stock, added some coarsely ground pepper, and just for fun, a can of mushrooms. I let it reduce for about five minutes. Then I added the cognac, half&half and a little salt and let it reduce again another five to seven minutes. The sauce thickened up almost all at once and almost got too thick.

I took the steaks out of the oven, plated them, and drizzled (ok, glopped... I did say it was thick, right?) the sauce on top. My wife RAVED about the sauce and I have to admit my mouth has been watering for more ever since.

So, apart from the thickness, the sauce was a hit! We will definitely be doing it again, but this time, removing the pan from heat before it gets too thick.

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

Enjoy!

nice write up evenstranger. I don't know where you live but in my area the green brined peppercorns are impossible to find. I don't know how close capers would come. The reason most of these recipes call for heavy cream is that other things you substitute can currdle. Half&Half can currdle (i have had it happen) but i guess you did not have the heat high enough for to happen. I like the imagry of you had to glob the sauce over the steaks :). If this happened again iw ould just add a bit more cream/half&half until you like the consistency.

Ncage

Capers aren't really very close- they're pickled flower buds. They are tasty, but I'm not sure I'd want them in my Cognac Creams Sauce. I'm glad you liked how it turned out, I end up making that quite often.:chef:

when you say you made the stake in the oven, how did you do that exactly.

evenstranger said:
...Undaunted, I seared the steaks, put them in the oven to stay warm...

Enjoy!

Simply serar off your cut to desired doneness, hold in low oven to keep warm, not cook.

Calssic preperation(Au Piorve), good stuff.

I make a simmilar sauce, too. If I cook the steaks in a pan, I will use the same pan as you did.

First, I sautee fresh button mushrooms or cremini's. Make sure you don't overload the pan or they will steam. After the shrooms get nice and carmelized, I add some sliced shallot and a good pour of cognac. After the alcohol burns out I add some beef broth and let that reduce to less than half. Add a pat of butter and at the very end I add about 1/4 - 1/3 cup heavy cream.

I keep a bottle of cognac, sake and brandy next to my cooking oils. If I add wine to a recipie it's usually what I'm drinking at the time.

whats funny is i saw the same episode as the original poster and a week later i ordered it at a resturant because of the episode. yummy.

Hit me people, :rolleyes: but I have to say that I very rarely consider using Cognac (wow re prices these days!!!) for cooking! A good brandy will do very/just as well. :angel:
If the sauce is too thick, thin with a little beef stock and cook down just slightly.

TATTRAT said:
Simply serar off your cut to desired doneness, hold in low oven to keep warm, not cook.

Calssic preperation(Au Piorve), good stuff.

Hey Tatt!!! ...lolol. Hope you are enjoying your Saturday!!! ;)

:) Sounds great.Next time use real cream you will be amazed.Another thought is if you have any juices left from cooking steaks pour the juices into sauce when steaks are done you will be very happy the mushrooms are a great addition save the juice from the mushrooms to thin out your sauce if it gets too thick.

Back
Top Bottom