Cook hamburgers in non stick pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok, I know we are lame. We need a new grill and we have none right now.
If I cook hamburgers on the stove later, is it better to use my stainless steel pan or just a regular non stick pan? I don't have a gorge forman grill either.

I have never used SS .. but i have done burgers
in a non stick .. worked fine ..
cast iron is my favorite though ..

Non-stick works like a charm. I usually set mine to medium to heat up the pan and then slap the burgers on.... sounds good!

Yup, I use a non-stick frypan too. That is, until I bought a Hamilton Beach indoor grill. Now my frypan feels a little lonely these days.
Purrs,
Joyce

If using SS it has to be hot and cook long enough till the burger comes of of the pan without stiking to it.

I've used both. I grab the SS pan if I am making gravy for fries.

I always use non-stick when I cook them in a skillet. I usually put a little salt in the bottom of the skillet. Let the burgers brown completely on one side before you turn them, then turn the heat down a little and partially cover pan. Do not mash! When the juices run clear, they're done.

I guess it's really just a matter of preference. I like to use SS because I heat the pan good and hot and then throw the seasoned hamburger in so that it will get a nice crust and not overcook. Then flip it over and brown the other side (never, never, ever mash it!)

It doesn't matter - as others have said. When I'm making a burger I'm generally not making pan sauces or gravy ... I just want to cook a flattened out hunk of ground cow to put on a bun with some lettuce, onion, tomato and a smear of mustard. Of course, sometimes I gussey it up with maybe a slice of cheese, maybe some sauteed mushrooms, maybe sauteed onions, or some bacon.

But - for a simple burger - nonstick will work just fine.

ok, I know we are lame. We need a new grill and we have none right now.
If I cook hamburgers on the stove later, is it better to use my stainless steel pan or just a regular non stick pan? I don't have a gorge forman grill either.

Hi Legend,
The type of pan is less important than the temperature of the pan and oil when you add the hamburgers. The pan should be sufficiently hot so that when you add the hamburgers the meat sizzles and browns gently (rather than in two minutes it`s all burnt) so it is actually a very difficult skill but you can do it!

What you need is a wide based pan with short sides - a really squashed U shape - no more than with a side depth of 1 to 2 inche, max. Place oil and if using butter go for GHEE or clarified butter. Let them heat until sizzling and add the hamburgers and place them down, away from you - don`t just "plonck" them down as you may get splattered by hot fat as you place themin the cooking pan! :ermm: The critical point is that the fat and hamburgers should remain sizzling at all times, (increase the heat a bit as you add more) - like a buzy bee buzzing but not like a castrated cow - buzz but not squeales! Ouch!

How long you cook on one side before turing over depends upon how thick the hamburgers are. However, it is possible to brown on both sides and then transfer to the oven on a baking sheet to finish cooking. I am asuming here that we are talking about homemade hamburgers and not shop bought or frozen.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom