Cooking a Beef Tenderloin Roast for first time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suedanielle

Assistant Cook
I don't want to ruin such a nice (and expensive) peice of meat. How long do I cook and at what temperature ? I do have an instant meat thermometer that I plan to use. Thanks for your help !!

I plan to cook it up to 145 degrees (medium) and the roast is 6 1/2 lbs !!

YUM - you're going to have a good meal. As a side note is there a round strip of meat that runs the length of the tenderloin? If so I remove this piece and grind it for a really good burger!!!!

Tenderloin with Diablo Hollandaise

1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 (4-5 lb) tenderloin, trimmed
4 tablespoons vegetable oil

Hollandaise Diablo

5 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cup butter, melted and very warm
2 lemons, juiced
2 teaspoons tomato paste
hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
kosher salt to taste

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine the salt and sugar and spread on a baking sheet. Roll the whole tenderloin in the salt and sugar mixture, so that the tenderloin is completely covered. In a large braising pan, heat the oil on high heat. Place the whole tenderloin in the hot oil and cook for 4 to 6 minutes on all four sides.

Remove from the heat and place the tenderloin on a baking sheet. Finish in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until internal temperature is 140 degrees. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice into 8 to 10 pieces and serve with warm Hollandaise Diablo.

Hollandaise Diablo

In a blender or food processor fitted with metal blade, pulse egg yolks on low and slowly add melted butter, lemon juice, tomato paste, hot pepper sauce, and salt.

You can always leave out the tomato paste and hot pepper sauce - add some fresh tarragon for a classic Bernaise sauce. There are tons of recipes on the net but let me know if you want one.

K-elf gave you a virtual cookbook, but there are a few things I can add. First, if there is a silvery coating (called silverskin) running the length of the piece, cut off as much of it as you can because a). it is tough and b). will cause the meat to curl during cooking. Second, if you have the whole length of the tenderloin and one end is thicker than the other, fold the thin end under and tie it to equalize thickness so that it doesn't get overcooked. Third, this is a tender cut of meat - don't overcook it - I would lean more toward 135 (medium rare) degrees than 145 (medium) but that is personal preference. Fourth, as k-elf said, definitely let the meat rest on the counter for 15+ minutes before cutting so the juices don't drain and cause the meat to get dry. Enjoy!

I should be writing this in "green" (for ENVY!)...I'd be tempted to do this much as respondents suggest, with a dry rub seasoning, taking the "silverskin" stretch out, flash frying it in a hot pan, and then wrapping it in Phyllo pastry with pate de fois gras, "minced" or "finely chopped" scallions and de-stemmed mushrooms, and going the "Beef Wellington" route...

I would not want it to be cooked any further than "medium rare", based on the instant read thermometer, knowing I'd seared the outsides, and this does tend to "spoof" the otherwise reliable digital readers...

Otter is right on the mark on "letting it rest", rather than pointlessly losing the juices that add so much to this cut...

Wish I could be there for the results, whichever way you elect to go!

Lifter

Here's how I do it on the rare occasions I can afford it.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. (yes, 500)
Rub roast with a little olive oil and sprinkle with slt and pepper.d
Roast 30 - 45 mins . 140 degrees medium rare
160 degrees well done (don't do this, I beg you)

You just have to keep checking it after 30 mins. As previously stated, it needs to rest before you slice it. and if there is silverskin, take it off, as was also mentioned.

I serve mine with horseradish sauce. Here's the recipe:

1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
2 tbsp. horseradish
1 tsp sugar
1./ tsp pepper.
Combine.

Also good with the beef are

Pickled Red Onions

2 tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 very thinly sliced red onions

Combine and let stand at room temperature for at least 1/2 hour.

Hope this helps. It's great on a buffet.

Update...

I cooked the beef tenderloin tonight. It was delicious !! Everything worked out perfectly. Again this was a huge roast - 6 1/2 lbs. I rubbed a little olive oil, pepper, and some italian seasoning. I cooked at 375 degrees - 20 minutes/lbs. So It ended up cooking for about 2 hours. I used the instant thermometer and took it out at 140 degree. We then let it sit for about 10 minutes. And then cut it. It was meduim. Definately not over done. It was fabulous. Had it w/ some garlic mashed potatoes, veggies, and I also had made a tray of lasagna. Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried to keep it simple this time.

Back
Top Bottom