Corned Beef Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcormann

Assistant Cook
I probably should have asked the butcher this question but didn't think of it at the time. I asked him if he had any corned beef and he cut me up 10lbs worth for the guests I'm having on Saturday. Here's the part of I'm confused on...usually when you buy corned beef from the supermarket it comes with those little spice packets. Does this mean it is already "brined"? If so, would I still boil the corned beef in a mixture of cloves, thyme, bay leaves, garlic onion like my recipe calls for?

What is that spice packet?

I don't use the packets, I throw in a sliced orange, a cinnamon stick , about 6 whole cloves,a quartered onion and a celery stalk halved, 1 tsp. dill seed 1 bay leaf and 2 cloves of garlic , halved and 1 tsp rosemary. It's great that way.

Now I use the little packet, plus onions and garlic, cover w/ water, smimmer 3-4hrs. - till meat and veg's are tender. So easy !

By the way - Welcome to DC ! Great site !

Last edited:
It is already brined/corned--and for my taste, too much. I soak my corned beef for several hours in a couple of changes of water. It is so much better/less salty. Use the flavor packet if you want. Don't let it boil--simmer only, or put in the oven to braise at 300*.

Since most corned beef that I am familiar with comes in cryovac already brined etc. with the spice packet included.. The thread originator stated he had the butcher "cut" him 10bls of corned beef. I am wondering if what he got was 10lbs of brisket. Not "corned" beef...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom