Corned Beef without cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HolyCanoli

Cook
I got a new Crock Pot for Christmas so I picked up a beef roast and corned beef to cook in it but we're not big cabbage eaters and I don't want to use the typical potatoes and carrots. Any suggestions on what else to cook with it?

I have a corned beef in the freezer, and beyond St. Paddy's day, the best reason to cook a corned beef is for home made hash. In my mind, it's the best reason to cook a corned beef, well, unless you count Ruben sandwiches and that's the second best reason. There's no need for cabbage unless you like it.

By the way, welcome to Discuss Cooking!

Hi and welcome to DC too.

I would coarse chop an onion and put in the bottom of the crock pot, to act like a trivet and flavor. When the corn beef is done cooking, you can use the onion to make gravy, or just freeze it for a sauce for another dish.

I think when I have made corned beef in a dutch oven, I add liquid, or how else does that bay leaf, whole pepper corns and assorted other whole spices float around.

Last edited:
I come from Boston and there are two sections of the city that have more Irish than Ireland. Come St. Paddy's Day, there isn't a home in these two sections that are not serving Corn Beef and Cabbage.

But that doesn't mean you have to follow suit. Cook the corn beef alone, boil some potatoes, grate them on your box grater along with an onion and serve corn beef hash with an egg on top. For breakfast or even a Sunday evening meal. Serve with corn bread or corn muffins. Make corn beef sandwiches. Reuben Sandwiches. Grind or shred the CB and use it as the stuffing for peppers. Mix it with mushrooms, sautéed onion, rice or any other addition that suits your family's fancy.

The meat is the vehicle. Where it takes the rest of the meal on the trip is up to you. Serve food that you know you family likes. Just like you would an expensive piece of beef.

Just because it is tradition to serve a food a certain way for other families, does not mean you have to follow suit. Create your own traditions. My family never liked turkey. So our tradition was to serve two beautiful roasted chickens at Thanksgiving. While other families were eating turkey for a week, we had a big pot of chicken noodle soup on the stove. And here was never any leftovers.

Welcome to DC. A fun place to come to and very addictive. Lots of laughs and information just for the asking. :angel:

I got a new Crock Pot for Christmas so I picked up a beef roast and corned beef to cook in it but we're not big cabbage eaters and I don't want to use the typical potatoes and carrots. Any suggestions on what else to cook with it?

The pot roast recipe GG posted is outstanding. I'll take it as a reminder to make it again.

You can cook a corned beef and serve it with anything you like. The food police no longer require you to boil root vegetables and cabbage every time you cook corned beef. Make mashed potatoes and gravy or French Fries.

Thanks everyone! GG's recipe sounds amazing...I think that's on the menu for tomorrow night :)

Thanks you also for the welcome wishes! I was on here few years ago and am excited to be back!

Slow Cooker Corned Beef

Ingredients:

1 corned beef brisket, 3 to 5 pounds
4 to 6 red potatoes
4 to 6 carrots
1 medium onion
2 cups low sodium beef broth
1½ cups Guinness stout
3 bay leaves
1 Tbs coarse ground, whole grain mustard
½ tsp black peppercorns
½ tsp white peppercorns

Instructions:

Cut the onion and carrots into half inch slices, cut the potatoes into quarters, and put them in the bottom of the slow cooker. Rinse the corned beef brisket, pat it dry with paper towels, and place it in the crock pot on top of the vegetables. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns, and whole grain mustard.

Pour the stout and the beef broth into the crock pot, making sure the liquid comes about two thirds of the way up the brisket. If not, add more broth. Put the cover on the crock pot, set it to LOW and allow the brisket and vegetables to cook for 6 to 7 hours.

Remove the brisket to a cutting board, tent it with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Remove the vegetables from the crock pot with a slotted spoon or a coarse mesh skimmer and put them in a serving bowl. Slice the brisket about ½ inch thick against the grain and lay it out on a serving platter. Serve the corned beef with ramekins of coarse ground, whole grain mustard for dipping.

Back
Top Bottom