Crazy-Good Mexican Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
DW purchased little, fresh corn tortillas. I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. I decided on a spin of the Enchilada pie she so dearly enjoys. /the simple seasonings allowed all of the separate flavors to shine.

I have 4 inch spring-form pans and made my little Mexican lasagna in two of them, one for DW, and one for me. Here's the ingredient list.

Ingredients:
1 tough rib-eye steak, freshly ground with my coarsest grinding plate
3 tbs. pure chicken broth gel (gelled from the collagen in the broth)
1 tbs. bacon fat
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. Salt
12 oz can Hunts diced tomato
tabasco Sauce
Colby jack cheese
6 4-inch fresh corn tortillas

Lightly brown the grouned beef. Add the chicken broth, cunin, and bacon grease to the pan while it's browning.

Open and drain the diced tomato. Slice the cheese into 36 1-inch, very thin squares.

When the meat is browned, assemble the spring-form pans with aluminum foil covering the bottom, and rising up the outside of the pans. Puree a quarter cup of the tomato. Place three tortillas on top of the ground beef, along with 2 tbs. water. Cover and heat to steam the tortillas, making them soft enough to press into one of the spring-form pans. After the first Mexican Lasagna is constructed, soften three more tortillas.

Add a tbs. of the puree to the pan bottoms, followed by 1 soft tortilla. Place a layer og ground beef on top and sprinkle with cumin. Follow with a layer of diced tomato. Splash with Tabasco Sauce, then a layer of cheese squares. Build a second layer identical to the first. Top with a third tortilla, and cover that with cheese. Bake in a 325 "F. oven for 20 minutes. Then remove, and set on serving plates. Let cool for 7 minutes or so, and remove the spring-form pan sides. Remove the pan bottom, and foil. Enjoy with sliced avocado, or guacamole, and a sprinkle of minced cilantro. Horchata or your favorite beverage should be ice cold to go with this, Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yup. We do something along similar lines. Regular size soft tortillas, assembled, stacked in a pie plate, then baked a little while. They might resemble enchiladas, but are different. Serve in sliced triangles.

The smaller sized spring form pans sound cool.

Last edited:
Can I make one suggestion instead of Hunt's diced tomatoes?

rotel-printable-coupon.png

I like the bright flavot of the Huntz diced tomato, and add as much heat as I want with fresh, and dried peppers. I also use tomato putee when makin tomato based sauces, rather than tomato sauce as pre-made sauce is seasoned.
I like ro start with a clean canvas and build/create my own flavors. I have a pantry full of herbs, spices, and different dried peppers, and pepper powders.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom