CWS' Pressure Cooker Beef Stroganoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Approx 1-1/2 lb round steak, cut into 1" cubes
seasoned flour for dredging (dry mustard, salt, pepper, a wee bit of allspice, a wee bit of ground cloves, about 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp marjoram)
2 T seasoned flour for thickening
2 T bacon fat
1 smallish yellow onion (about the size of a tangerine)
2 T sherry or red wine
3 ice cubes of beef stock (1/2 c beef stock)
1 T red wine vinegar
2-3 tsp anchovy paste (or not)
1/2 c sour cream
2 T tomato paste
4-6 oz mushrooms
Zest of one lemon
Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
Fresh parsley, minced

Directions (for an ancient Presto pressure cooker)

1. Heat pressure cooker. Add bacon fat.
2. Dredge beef cubes.
3. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook until onion is limp.
4. Add stock, anchovy paste, and red wine vinegar.

Put lid and regulator on. Set timer for 5 minutes. Heat on high until regulator is at 15. Lower heat to medium/medium low (whatever temp is needed to keep the regulator in the middle).

Remove from heat, cool in sink while running cold water on the side of the pressure cooker. Once the pressure is off, remove regulator and lid.

Add wine. Mix sour cream, 2 T flour, and tomato paste. Add to Stroganoff. Heat on medium (do not let it come to a boil, the sour cream will separate). Adjust seasonings (salt and pepper).

Serve over homemade egg noodles (or whatever) and sprinkle with fresh parsley, a bit of fresh lemon zest, and a squeeze of lemon juice.

3-4 servings.

A few weeks ago I made beef stew using round steak in the pressure cooker and was disappointed with the results. The meat was a little on the tough side and not very flavorful, and I attributed it to using round steak instead of a cut with more fat. The meat was cooked on high pressure for 15 minutes, quick release, add celery, carrots, and potatoes, cook on high for 5 minutes, quick release. The recipe was from Beth Hensperger's cookbook.

How did your's turn out? Would you stick with round steak or use another cut?

When do you add the beef?

Do you brown it first?

How long do you cook it?
Sorry, after dredging the beef cubes, you add it to the heated pressure cooker (I put 2 T of bacon fat in). Cook until it is brown on all sides, add the onions and mushrooms. I didn't time that because that isn't done under pressure. Once the lid is on and the regulator vent is on the vent pipe, it is 5 minutes.

A few weeks ago I made beef stew using round steak in the pressure cooker and was disappointed with the results. The meat was a little on the tough side and not very flavorful, and I attributed it to using round steak instead of a cut with more fat. The meat was cooked on high pressure for 15 minutes, quick release, add celery, carrots, and potatoes, cook on high for 5 minutes, quick release. The recipe was from Beth Hensperger's cookbook.

How did your's turn out? Would you stick with round steak or use another cut?
Ours was quite good. I removed the gristle from the meat (it was a round steak, I cut it against the grain when I cubed it). I will make it next time with venison.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom