Desire a Crusty, Oniony Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankswsj

Assistant Cook
I use a basic meatloaf recipe that gives me the flavor, texture and simplicity that I like. I do not use any covering such as the typical ketchup, etc. My issue is that I would like to have a black or deep brown crusty surface (with juicy interior) all over the loaf and do not know how to get it. I dab with pieces of butter and place on the upper rack during last 10 - 20 minutes of cooking, but it doesn't give me enough burnt crust all around. Also, would like to have more oniony flavor (I use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped onions with 1-1 1/2 lbs of 85% hamburger). Anyone have any ideas as to how I can accomplish ?

Not sure how to get it crusty. Have you ever tried fried meatloaf?

For more onion flavor, maybe dry onion soup?

Onion soup would work great, rainee. How about putting it under the broiler for a few minutes at the end to make it crusty/crispy?

Every time I make meatloaf, I top it with ketchup and it comes out nice and crusty. I split my loaf in two so I get lots more crusty sides.

To get a meat loaf that's crusty on all sides except the bottom, here's what I do.

Mix the meatloaf ingredients as normal and pack it into a loaf pan, being sure to get out all the air pockets. Then turn the loaf pan over onto a foil covered half sheet pan or rimmed cookie sheet. Remove the loaf pan and cook the meatloaf "naked" on the cookie sheet. I cook mine at 350F.

To get a more oniony flavor, try sauteeing additional onions and adding them into the mix along with the raw onions.

BTW, I use a full cup of onion fo my 1.5 or 2.0 pound meatloaf.

I always pat the top of mine with water..(why? I don't know..) but it does have a little crust on top..just a little crunch.

I've never had a real crusty top either, just a little but more would be nice. Seems like my Mom's was always crusty though (by choice I'm sure) I'll check with her and see what she used to do. I love the answers that are posted so far though, I will have to try them.

My kids always liked leftover meatloaf, that was fried.

frankswsj said:
I use a basic meatloaf recipe that gives me the flavor, texture and simplicity that I like. I do not use any covering such as the typical ketchup, etc. My issue is that I would like to have a black or deep brown crusty surface (with juicy interior) all over the loaf and do not know how to get it. I dab with pieces of butter and place on the upper rack during last 10 - 20 minutes of cooking, but it doesn't give me enough burnt crust all around. Also, would like to have more oniony flavor (I use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped onions with 1-1 1/2 lbs of 85% hamburger). Anyone have any ideas as to how I can accomplish ?

To get a "burnt crust" type thing going on .... it's a matter of sugar and fat (butter) - although tomato sauce would add some additional flavor. Use some corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter (melted) .... tomato paste and herbs if you want ... pour/brush over the loaf.

Reverse your process. Preheat the oven to 500-F ... coat the meatloaf with a sugar/fat coating ... put in the oven for 10-15 minutes .... then reduce the heat to finish cooking the loaf.

As for onion flavor ... sweat/saute the onion over med-low with a good pinch of salt and a little (1-2 tablespoon) butter ... about 15-20 minutes until soft and brown. This will bring out the sweetness and flavor of the onion. Allow to cool before adding to your meatloaf mixture. Of course, you might want to bump up the onion to meat ratio. I generally do about 1-cup onion per pound of meat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom