Do Nitrites and Nitrates bother you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
L'Oreal are touting an, undoubtedly extra expensive, gluten-free shampoo

a) did shampoo ever have gluten in it?

and

b) if consumption of gluten by mouth is what does the damage for coeliacs, how many of them think they are supposed to drink shampoo?
The gluten-free thing drives me nuts too. I was working the other day, and had to find a “gluten-free” corn tortilla. The thing is, corn tortillas DON’T HAVE GLUTEN to begin with, but since now there’s a big old banner on the product, the store feels like it needs to move the item to its “gluten-free” corner, nowhere near where the rest of the tortillas are. I would imagine people living with CD already know that corn doesn’t contain gluten and would rather look for corn tortillas where one would expect them to be found - WITH THE TORTILLAS!

this popped up yesterday:

"Can jerky affect mental illness? Study suggests it can
The study found that people hospitalized for mania were more likely to say they had eaten jerky or meat sticks. "

"....But they ran some other experiments suggesting that the nitrates in processed meats might affect someone’s mental state."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...-mental-illness-study-suggests-it-can-n892541

The trouble is when they vaguely state that "studies suggest......", they don't tell you that they may only have "studied" two men, three women and a dog.

the article describes work done at Johns Hopkins, not Mother Earth.

From the article:
The researchers are quick to say that they have not proven that eating cured meats causes mental illness, or even that a little jerky hurts someone with, say, bipolar disease. But they ran some other experiments suggesting that the nitrates in processed meats might affect someone’s mental state...

Outside experts noted that the work is very preliminary.

“We’d need much more evidence of a link before making any recommendations to patients or the public in relation to the risk of eating cured meat and developing mania," said Dr. Anthony Cleare, a psychiatry professor at King's College London who was not involved in the study.

This is interesting, but certainly not something to change your diet over.

From the article:

This is interesting, but certainly not something to change your diet over.

That's it. This article should never have been written. What's the point? "We think this might happen, but we're not sure." It's irresponsible to publish this as the media will pick up on it and blow it all out of proportion. Before you know it, people are making decisions based on conjecture.

the article describes work done at Johns Hopkins, not Mother Earth.
It still doesn't mean that it was a large enough sample to get accurate results.

Johns Hopkins may be an important organisation but it doesn't mean it doesn't have axes to grind.

Last edited:
Where we live, we all grow our oun vegetables. We all go to a butchers where meat is raised well, and, as we all say, 'the animal had a health'. for preserved meats, such as salami, Parma ham, they contain a minimun level of chemical preservatives, preferring the slow dry method of preserving.

I always check the back-notes of preserved meats, and so do our friends. Healthy foods are a priority here. When we shop, it's always bearing in mind whether or not the amount of preserving chemicals are high or lower. That's all.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

It still doesn't mean that it was a large enough sample to get accurate results.

Johns Hopkins may be an important organisation but it doesn't mean it doesn't have axes to grind.
The scientists themselves said it was preliminary research. It's the science writers who inflate the value of early research results and what they mean for people.

Also, research organizations have Institutional Review Boards that include members of the community as well as research professionals in other areas of the institution, that examine all research proposals before investigators can even apply for funding. It's not as easy as people think for a university to "grind an axe."

Last edited:
That's it. This article should never have been written. What's the point? "We think this might happen, but we're not sure." It's irresponsible to publish this as the media will pick up on it and blow it all out of proportion. Before you know it, people are making decisions based on conjecture.
Interesting article in "the Guardian" (intelligent British daily newspaper) It begins with comment on a study funded by the sugar industry in the 1960s but read on to up-to-date comment by British and American contributors. Google the following headline.
"Sugar lobby paid scientists to blur sugar's role in heart disease – report "

Last edited by a moderator:
Where we live, we all grow our oun vegetables. We all go to a butchers where meat is raised well, and, as we all say, 'the animal had a health'. for preserved meats, such as salami, Parma ham, they contain a minimun level of chemical preservatives, preferring the slow dry method of preserving.

I always check the back-notes of preserved meats, and so do our friends. Healthy foods are a priority here. When we shop, it's always bearing in mind whether or not the amount of preserving chemicals are high or lower. That's all.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

With you there, Di. I don't "grow my own" but I'm with you on the care to be taken when shopping. "Traceability" is important to me. I can ask my butcher (third generation in the same shop) which farm the pig which supplied my pork chop came from and he can tell me and my greengrocer (30+ years in business in the village) sells locally produced veg bearing labels which give the name of the farm it came from. I don't much care if my carrots aren't perfectly straight or my potatoes aren't exactly all the same size. Or that my meat is more expensive that the cheap supermarkets - the quality is better, the meat hung properly and it's cut by a human who knows what he's doing so I can buy less because there's less waste.

Apart from the above it's great to be able to shop with someone who knows your name (but a bit disconcerting when the butcher asks after your horse's health ;)) and will deliver orders free of charge.

Last edited:
It is regulated in Sweden so it safe, yes children under one year of age shouldn't eat too much of it, so some veggies are no go.
I cant grow anything, so being European isnt a safe bet, how ever EU keeps complaining Sweden have to strict rules on food and a lot of other things. And it doesnt matter if you grow stuff your self some veggies are by nature nitrate rich.

Why gluten free on corntortillas, if the mills also wheat, the gluten will contaminate the corn flour and for some that can be really bad. So if the flour comes from a mill that only mills corn it is gluten free, same with oats.

Last edited:
It is regulated in Sweden so it safe, yes children under one year of age shouldn't eat too much of it, so some veggies are no go.
I cant grow anything, so being European isnt a safe bet, how ever EU keeps complaining Sweden have to strict rules on food and a lot of other things. And it doesnt matter if you grow stuff your self some veggies are by nature nitrate rich.

Why gluten free on corntortillas, if the mills also wheat, the gluten will contaminate the corn flour and for some that can be really bad. So if the flour comes from a mill that only mills corn it is gluten free, same with oats.
All of that is the same here in the United States.

Back
Top Bottom