Dry corned beef hash problem:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snack_pack85

Washing Up
Hey all,

I purchased some cooked corned beef from my deli yesterday and threw it into the old food processor till the appropriate texture and fried it up with diced onion, garlic, and taters to make some corned beef hash. Well the flavors were great but the texture and tenderness of the meat were awful. It was like eating sand :(.

I cooked the taters, onion, and garlic first so when I tossed in the eat all it needed was to be warmed through, still it tastes grainy, dry and over cooked...almost stale. It's the worse I've ever had. I am used to the diner stuff thats nice and crusted on the outside and tender and moist on the inside. Not a slice of sand paper with an egg fried on top of it...:ermm:

Help?

I have made this from scratch on occasion and what I have found to work is to add a bit of beef broth to the mixture. I then let the mixture set over night in the frig then fry it up in butter or bacon fat the following day. I have had pretty good results. As for the corned beef being tough, not sure what to tell you to do about that.

I don't think an egg will give you that much mositure, water, stock/broth, you don't want it to be watery, just enough for the taters and corned beef to soak up.

I would not grind it up in the FP. I'd go with diced or cubed corned beef. Also, too little fat will cause it to be dry.

Our favorite corned beef hash is made from the scraps (pieces not suitable for sandwiches) left over from slicing a home cooked three - four pound piece of Cook's or similar brand thick cut corned beef.

I agree, needs broth. Next time maybe brine the corned beef in beef broth before grinding it??

I was thinking more along the lines of running it thru the FP and add in a little broth as you go to keep it moist, then add in the rest of the ingredients.
I think running it thru the FP made a partly dry cut of meat drier, at least that has been my experience so far.

Back
Top Bottom