Dry rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
I never used a dry and would really like to. I bought some rib eye for the 1st time and wanted to know if a dry rub would be better or whats the best way to make good rib eye.

If you have a fav dry rub and dont mind sharing so i can have it for future i would really appreciate it.

Also what are the benefits of a dry rub? I always use the stake marinades from the grocery.

Thanks

I prefer steak as is, with a little oil rubbed on before grilling and some kosher salt. Medium rare, of course.

Chicken I like marinated, and last time I grilled it to make BBQ chicken pizza and used a dry rub. It turned out well, and with a better flavor than a marinade.

Dry rubs are a great way to introduce flavor. They work great on steaks of all cuts as well as any other meats, fish, or poultry. Here is my favorite run. It is best to rub it on and let it sit overnight, but you can put it on seconds before cooking and that will be great too.

2 parts fresh ground black pepper
2 parts lemon pepper
2 parts cayenne pepper
2 parts chili powder
2 parts dry mustard
2 parts light brown sugar
1 part tsp garlic powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Debbie24.

There are..perhaps hundreds if not thousands of rub recipes..The one GB gave you sounds like a winner!!

From my point of view: Apply rub and let it's flavor marry the meat in the refrigerator over-nite. And use just a wee bit. I grill at around 500/600* so any rub applied at grilling time is.. within seconds..destroyed. So I do not apply last minute rubs...However I do at times apply rubs Post-grill (after cooking)just shake a little on from a shaker..and the flavors will explode on your taste buds!

Enjoy!

You can also buy dry spice mixes that can be used as rubs. Emeril's Essence, Paul Prudhomme's Magic Rubs or McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning are some examples.

While I quite enjoy dry rubs on many cuts of steak, a rib eye would not be one of them. If it were me, a rib eye would always be made using simple salt and pepper sprinkled on right before cooking.

Back
Top Bottom