Favorite Cut of Steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Filet. Only have it a couple times a year - don't eat much red meat. I love it with a gorgonzola roasted garlic butter I make.

i've really thought about this, and i can't decide. it all depends on the cut and method of prep.

i love a good tenderloin, plain or with a nice red wine sauce.

a bone-in prime rib, with lots of freshly grated horseradish, not the sauce.

then there's mom's rump or top/bottom round pot roast, and an old friend's garlic and teryaki marinated skirt steak.

a local steak place does grilled porterhouses like no one else. the chef says he just uses s&p, but i know there's something else in the stuff he sprinkles on the meat as it grills. someday, i'll get my hands on some to analyze it.

a local mexican place has ny strips, covered in salsa and queso, that i'd kill for.

finally, my dry rubbed angus london broil, cooked over the coals of a campfire, is always a hit.

so, i'll take the whole cow, please. :chef:

depends on the moo'd! I like rib eye or prime rib, medium rare. Got to be charcoal-grilled. kosher salt and cracked pepper are seasoning enough for me. My fav is mediterranean steak salad, with feta, kalamata olives, pepperoncini peppers and lemon vinaigrette, pita and extra garlic hummus on the side. But when I want a big steak and nothing else, stay outta my way. :ohmy:

Michael in FtW said:
...I never use sauces for a good cut of meat - but for a T-Bone or something less ... nothing wrong with some Heinz 57, A-1, or my fave from England, HP.

For a fliet mignon - recipe would have to be for "Steak Diane" as favorite.

Michael, speaking of T-Bone... you reminded me of a restaurant I thought was "It", growing up as a kid in New York City called Tad's Steakhouse. For a few $, you got a huge steak, baked tater, garlic bread AND a bowl of salad. It was not a gourmet cut, and the wallpaper was red flocked velvet(?):LOL: , but a pretty good meal, for almost nothing. Looks like it's still around today. Here's some info & pics in San Fran:

Tads History

Sizz, when you go to NYC (after the theatre?) and don't want to spend big $ or expect a gourmet meal, I think there are two Tad's around.

Tads_032.1.JPG

They prices were a little higher when I was there. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Rib eye or shell steak (NY Strip?) sprinkled with Adobo and pan fried in butter. Deeeelicious! Of course that was the old, unsophisticated Carl so I guess I'll be experimenting soon as I've found what appears to be a good butcher.
I remember Tad's Steaks as well and its clone The Flaming Embers around east 86th St. Wow, those were the days!

mmmm, reading this is making my mouth water. I'm a huge steak fan, but being a poor university student I generally only buy myself the really cheap inside round steaks and such, and haven't had the chance to cook any really good cuts.

Is it too late to say, I love steak!
Gotta be a ribeye or Delmonico, as they're sometimes called in the summer around here. If it doesn't have fat for flavoring, it's not my kind of steak.
I've only ever grilled steaks, but I see a lot here pan fry in cast iron.... naw, I think I'll stick with the grill :) Nothing but Kosher salt and ground pepper as it's cooking. Pink inside and grill marks outside. Garlic bread to sop up the juices with, mmmm.

Dandelion, after I do some searching today I may get a hold of you. I bought a side of beef a couple months ago and have a bunch of packages in my freezer called round steak. I'm clueless :huh:

How about a 3 1/2-minute steak?!? What will people think of next?!

Merv's Pitchfork Fondue

Alix, if Merv comes to your neighborhood, let us know what you think.

Last edited:
When they asked Tom Brady, quarterback for the New England Patriots, who his favorite receiver was, he answered, "My favorite receiver is the open receiver.".

To paraphrase that, my favorite steak is the one in front of me at the moment.

If I was out shopping for a steak to cook on the grill, I'd get sirloin strip. If I wanted an indoor dinner, I'd choose filet for pan searing.

Andy M. said:
To paraphrase that, my favorite steak is the one in front of me at the moment.

i've heard that expression many times in irish pubs. when asked about his favourite drink, an old timer replied "my next one if you're buyin'".

ok, off topic but here's a true story/joke for you, buckytom:

We went out for dinner w/another couple one night..drinks were being ordered. Annie wanted a white russian from the bar..(waiting for the drum role, please)..the server says sure, disappears, brings back a 6' tall young man, and says to Annie, will this do?..she pauses, then replies, but yes, I'll have it to go..

Back
Top Bottom