Favorite way to cook a steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's your favorite way to cook a steak?

• BBQ baby!

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • pan fried

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • broiled under the broiler

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • other, discuss...

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
fcrosson said:
In my family we have always "pan broiled" rib eye and strip steaks. It's the same method without the oil.
Heat a dry cast iron skillet over medium high flame for 3 - 4 minutes, throw in a little kosher salt, then your room temperature dry steaks. 1 inch thick takes about 4 minutes a side for a nice brown crust with deep pink interior.
Caution!
This method does create a lot of smoke, so turn on the fan and open the windows. You'll have the neighbors at your door
'cause it will smell just like your favorite steak house.

:chef:

That sounds like the way I like my steaks...Philidelphia style...charred on the outside and red on the inside. My favorite steak is a good top sirloin.

My DIL (who is from Kansas) believes BBQ means with sauce and grilling is what we REALLY do to good steak. So the first time she visited and DH cooked steaks on our BBQ she asked for the BBQ sauce as he served them! :ROFLMAO: Thought he was gonna drop the plates then and there!!!

Far as I'm concerned just kick ' in the "rump" and walk them over the coals!

ironchef said:
2-3" Porterhouse from Neiman Ranch simply marinated in extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lemon; fresh rosemary, thyme, and oregano, then grilled to medium-rare.

I'll have to try that marinade. Wouldn't have occurred to me to use lemon. Thank you.

Favorite Steak

Wash the steak and pat dry. Generously coat with balsamic vinegar and your favorite seasoning and grill. The Balsamic vinegar gives a tangy sweet taste. Yum! I also like to serve it with lemon. The recipe with the Italian marinade is also very good.

Last edited:
Jeesh. BBQ definitions. :rolleyes: Quite the hot button. I'n my fog of a Friday workday, I slipped. By BBQ, I meant, grilled over a flame or coals.

My favorite pan seared steak is a rib eye or a filet. :chef:

Drew

PS: BBQ is tofu hot dogs on a charcoal BBQ! :devilish:

BBQ to me means coating the meat with BBQ sauce so I put mine under other because my favorite way is a fresh cut of meat (ribeye or new york strip) just with S & P and thrown onto a charcoal grill.....ummmmmmmm!

Hmm...I haven't seen the method I use on here yet so I'll toss it out there.

I beer bake steaks, then grill them over mid-high heat to crisp them.

Take your oven, put it around 235-255 degrees, take a large baking pan and pour a good can or bottle of beer into the pan. Add a small wire/metal rack into the pan and place your steak on it. Then cover with aluminum foil and cook for about 40-60 minutes. Turn it over at around 40 minutes if you want, otherwise just leave it. The beer baking gives a nice slow cooking to the meat, and opens the texture of the meat for marinades or just for tenderness. If it's a steak with bone, the meat actually starts coming away from the bone very easily. The beer also adds a good flavoring without being overpowering. The big upshot of this is that the flavor can really be brought out and marinades can really infuse the meat totally.

So, once you've baked it, go ahead and marinade it if you like or season it with salt and pepper (after drying it). Then toss it on the grill for only a few minutes per side to crisp the outsid. You don't need to cook it very long though.

For my Plum Ribs, I do the same thing with a rack of baby back ribs, marinating them after baking (but I toss them back in the oven for a bit after marinating).

fcrosson, I'm going to try that "pan broiled" method too. Maybe a cross of these two methods would work? Bake then pan cooking?

I am not much of a "beefeater", but IF I was going to eat a steak it must be a tender cut WITHOUT any chunk of fat, gristle or bones (like tenderloin), and must be cooked thoroughly, no pink part remaining in the middle. I know it is a horror for real beef fans, but if you are not, it goes the other way around!!

When it comes to cooking up a slab of dead cow ... on the grill over a bed of hardwood charcoal, or actual hardwood, is my favorite - although marinated in peach brandy and cooked over red cedar was an interesting experience.

Next to the grill comes - in the oven under the broiler.

After that - a good sear on each side in a cast iron skillet and finished in the oven.

A lot really depends on my mood, the weather, the cut of meat, and my menu.

Well.... I see you are a real Texan to the bones!!
4.gif

urmaniac13 said:
Well.... I see you are a real Texan to the bones!!
4.gif

Here is the true test of this statement:

Mike, what do you do to a Texan who loads their chili up with beans? :mellow:

To me the question becomes; what do you like to serve with the steak. I like the chop-house traditions of creamed spinach, potatoes, mushrooms etc… Since I’m usually grilling steaks (or barbequing – don’t want to get mixed up in that debate) I like to do the sides on the grill as well. My family demands grilled garlic bread every time we’re doing steaks. I’m sure someone out there can be more creative than that though – so what goes with steak?

LOL - Licia - the Greeks, Romans, Celts, Scots, Picts, some Gremanic savages, and the other mess mixed up in my ancestral pool were all cooking meat over an open fire long before they got to Texas. But, yeah - I do like a good old fashioned Texas BBQ, too. As Rainee pointed out - "grilling" a steak and a "BBQ" are different critters.

Simple SilvrBck - we call 'em heretics, infadels, Yankees, or Californians! :mrgreen:

Yeah mish ... we're just moo-ving along.

Michael in FtW said:
- we call 'em heretics, infadels, Yankees, or Californians! :mrgreen:

Hey, hey hey you. Who's an infidel! :ROFLMAO:

The first crime this Yankee witnessed in California, was putting mayo on a hamburger. EWWWW!

It's a fine line, Mish ...

It's ok to put chili over yor beans ... but never to cook your chili with beans in it.

Mayo on a burger? Only in California ...

Back
Top Bottom