Filet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
My wonderful husband has just arrived home with the most beautiful little fillet.....so wonderful looking I hardly know how to cook it while respecting its perfection....

pan seared then lightly grilled?

We like ours really rare so if we are stuck inside, my honey just sears it quick in our grill pan on the stove. If it's nice and we can grill, he throws them on there for about 2 minutes per side, again, just searing in the juices and flavor. He lets them sit for about 5 minutes on a plate, tented with foil to let them settle as well. We don't tend to salt or pepper filets since the flavor is just so good!

Enjoy!!

What kind? Fillet (with 2 'l's) in US usually means fish. Otherwise there is beef, pork (two most common), veal or lamb. Is this like a roast (pork tenderloin piece) or since you say "little" , is it a thick beef filet mignon.

Lulu,
I think I'd grill it medium rare, and serve with a small pat of herb garlic butter...Have a wonderful meal:) No matter what you pick it will be great.

kadesma

do it like kadesma said - I would do so...
we had beef filet with herb butter and potatos in the skin a few days ago.. *yummy*

Sorry Gretchen - one l - and yes filet mignon!

This is the reason I like good steaks in restaurants rather than at home....the pressure of the simple perfection!

Um, I am a woman....we can't park cars for a reason you know....1.5 inches?

Lulu, just like riding a bike, you have to get on in order to get it right! :) We also like ours really rare, and you will, in any case, get more of the "crust" on it if you get your pan VERY hot before you put the meat in.

I just rub it with salt and pepper, and sear it on both sides, then slide the pan into a heated 400 degree F oven for about 3 minutes.

To quote Elmer Fudd: "That's all, Folks!" :LOL:

OK, 1.5 inches thick, more or less. (My wife's favorite joke is running through my head, but it's inappropriate for this crowd!)

Next question: do you want to grill it (i.e., over a real fire -- like a BBQ or whatever you call such contraptions on that side of the pond), or cook it in a pan on the stove, or cook it in the oven?

I like my meat charred on the outside and rare -- but not bloody -- in the middle. That's the maximum flavor profile, IMO. I also like good meat done simply -- save the marinades and sauces for lesser cuts. Well, maybe a little Bordelaise or a port reduction on the side, especially with filet mignon, which is not the most flavorful cut of beef -- it's prized mostly for it's melt-in-your-mouth texture.

Assuming we're talking about individual 1.5-inch thick filet mignon steaks, I'd rub them with olive oil, a bit of salt, and a lot of coarsely ground black pepper, then grill them over a very hot fire about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Trim the fat to avoid excessive flare ups. Time varies depending on your grill, of course. You have to be careful with filet mignon not to overcook it or it will be dry and tasteless.

Oh my word. I am drooling reading this. FryBoy is right on target with this recommendation. Tell us how they come out lulu.

BTW, what do you Brits call a grill? You know, the thing some of us Yanks call a BBQ, a metal or brick contraption in which you cook food on a metal grate set over a heat source.

do you have time to marinate it? maybe you can let it sit in a burgundy wine-oyster sauce mix for a few hours, then use a grill pan and fry it over high heat. then pat some burgundy-flavoured herb butter on top and let it ooze in a low heat oven till melted...of course, serve it with the rest of your burgundy wine.

In the UK 'grill' is what I think Americans call a 'broiler'. It's often part of a cooker or can be a separate device.

The outside thingy, whether charcoal or gas is called a barbecue.

When I say "grill," I mean the outside thingy, not the broiler in the oven.

Here in California, we also also call the outside thingy a barbecue. However, I understand that in some parts of the U.S., "barbecue" refers only to food that slow-cooked on the grill, not to the grill itself. I don't know if that's true, but that's what I've been told.

Well, any time you see instructions on a recipe that I post which says 'grill for ..... minutes'... it means put it under the broiler.

I understand there is some controversy re barbecue terminology in the US - but as we copy the Australians, we call it a barbecue or a barby!

Because we have no outside cooking facilities (see- I avoided grill and BBQ!) I did the hot frying pan method. And it was great..... I am quite smug actually! Very rare inside and deliciously soft.

Thanks everbody for helping me with my panic!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom