Filet Mignon type Benedict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Here's a recipe my mom just sent me in the mail - I believe it was printed in her local paper.
It sounds amazingly delicious!!!
(I'll put it into the eggs category too)

The Gatsby
(poached eggs with asparagus and filet mignon)

(makes 8 servings)

1 whole beef tenderloin
veg oil
salt & pepper
8 eggs
24 asparagus spears, trim tough ends
4 english muffins, split in half
cheese sauce (recipe follows)
paprika

Heat a large, ovenproof skillet over high heat; add just enough oil to film the skillet. Sprinkle meat w/salt and pepper. Sear on all sides in hot skillet for about 5 minutes. This may be done up to a day in advance, and the meat refrigerated.
If meat has been refrigerated, let it stand at room temp for about 20-30 min. before cooking. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (f). Roast the tenderloin in skillet or in a shallow baking pan for 35-40 min. for medium rare or 40 min. for medium.
Remove from oven and let stand for 10 min. before cutting eight steaks, 1/2" thick each from roast. Reserve remaining meat for another use.
About 10 min. before meat is done, poach the eggs: crack eggs and slip into the butered cups of an egg poacher. Cook over simmering water for 4 minutes, until the whites are just set. Unmold the eggs into a 9x12 baking pan filled with 1/2" warm water. When the meat is removed from the oven, turn oven off and place pan w/eggs in oven. The eggs will finish cooking in the oven.
Also, about 10 min. before the meat is done, boil water to cook the asparagus: Bring 1" of water to a boil in a large, deep skillet. Add asparagus, cover and cook for 3-5 min., until asparagus are tender but not limp. Drain well.
While asparagus is cooking, toast the english muffins. Also warm the cheese sauce and slice the meat.
Place a muffin half on each of 8 plates. Top each with a slice of tenderloin. Place 3 asparagus spears on the meat and top with a poached egg. Drape with cheese sauce and sprinkle with paprika.

cheese sauce recipe:
2 c. dry white wine
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1-1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 c. american or swiss cheese

Combine about 3 Tbsp of the wine w/cornstarch in a small bowl; stir till smooth. Place in saucepan w/remaining wine. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Add cheese and stir till smooth.
Sauce may be made up to a day in advance and refrigerated. Heat before serving.

Last edited:
Sounds killer, jkath - will have to take a run at that one. I named a previous dog "Sport" after the narrator in The Great Gatsby. I made French Onion soup tonight, but naturally had to sub out the traditional cheese for Fontina. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom