Flank Steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
Okay, my overly charitable mother has just given me 8 cuts of flank steak (about 1 - 1.5 lbs. each). I've never cooked with flank steak before...any ideas how I can use them up? They seem too big too cook like a regular steak.

Keep in mind I do not have a grill, so that specific application is out of the question.

Thanks!

The key to good flank steak is to cook it fast over high heat and keep it medium to medium rare. When cooked and rested, it is very important to slice the steak across the grain of the muscle fibers. If you don't do this, your flank steak will be very tough.

Before cooking, marinate the steak in your favorite marinade.

You can cook it on a stove top grill, under the broiler or in a skillet.

I've never done it because I do have a grill and like rareish meat, but could not a flank steak be cooked like a mini pot roast also? low and slow braise with veggies?

:) No Grill?I would marinate and cook it in a hot fry pan cast iron would probably be the best and cook and slice like AndyM says.Just like you would a pan fried staek.You shouldnt cook it like a roast as it will be too tough to eat.

Last edited:
There are also wonderful recipes for stuffed flank steak--braised.
YOu can "grill" it by what others have said--seared in a screaming hot frying pan on both sides. Then sliced on the bias (diagonal) in thin slices so it will be tender. Marinate in a teriyaki style marinade.

I make stuffed flank steak regularly as it's one of SO's favorites. I tenderize it with a meat mallet first then stuff it with the stuffing hot out of the pan. Then tie it, sear it and roast it. Tie and roll it with the muscle fibers going the long way so when it's sliced you will be cutting against the grain.

If you stuff it with cold stuffing, the meat will be way overcooked before the stuffing is hot.

Okay, now that I know how to cook it, any ideas for serving? I heard the sliced steak makes great tacos/fajitas.

Serve it as you would any other steak, with mashed potatoes and a veggie or salad.

It works well for fajitas and quesadillas to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom